Concho Indian Agency (Oklahoma)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Concho Indian Agency (Oklahoma) ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
The Concho Agency is a currently operating agency. Its supervising office in the Bureau of Indian Affairs is the Anadarko Area Office.
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Agencies and sub-agencies were created as administrative offices of the Bureau of Indian Affairs and its predecessors. Their purpose was (and is) to manage Indian affairs with the tribes, to enforce policies, and to assist in maintaining the peace. The names and location of these agencies may have changed, but their purpose remained basically the same. Many of the records of genealogical value (for the tribe and tribal members) were created by and maintained by the agencies.
Many of the historical records for this agency, prior to 1963, are to be found in the National Archives Southwest Region (Ft. Worth), and in the Oklahoma Historical Society in Oklahoma City, under the name Cheyenne and Arapaho Agency.
Records Available Through the Family History Library
Annuity Rolls 1892-1921. FHL films: 1026687-1026691 and 1026693-1026695
Census, and School Records. FHL films: 1205782-1205784 and 1205786-1025787, and 1026692, 1248772, 1028498
Land and Property (Allotment)1891-1915. FHL films: 1026683-1026686, and 1026691. 1026695, 1028498
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981, p9. 154-155.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- This page was last modified on 19 March 2015, at 17:37.
- This page has been accessed 1,885 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More