Connecticut, Marriage Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Connecticut, Marriage Index, 1959-2001 .
This Collection will include records from 1949 to 2001.
The collection consists of an index to marriages from the Connecticut Department of Public Health in Hartford. The index is provided by Ancestry.com.
Information found in this collection may include:
- Name of bride and groom
- Marriage date and place
- Name of spouse (May only list surname)
- Reference ID - Page/Volume/Entry/Certificate Number
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the name of your ancestor and some other identifying information such as the name of the spouse, marriage date or place.
Search the Collection
To search the collection fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at the information on several individuals comparing the information about them to your ancestors to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line video at FamilySearch Search Tips.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record use the page, volume, entry or certificate number listed to locate your ancestor's marriage certificate. The certificates are available at the Connecticut Department of Public Health in Hartford.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Continue to search the index and records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have married in Connecticut.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Look for another index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities.
- Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals with the same family number.
|FHL Keyword Connecticut items or FHL Place United States, Connecticut items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Connecticut Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Connecticut, Marriage Index, 1959-2001" Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing "Connecticut, Marriage Index." Ancestry.com. www.ancestry.com : 2003.
- This page was last modified on 17 June 2014, at 20:25.
- This page has been accessed 8,518 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback