Countisbury, DevonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
COUNTISBURY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Sherwell, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 15½ miles (E. by N.) from Ilfracombe. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Countisbury, Devon parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FAMR = FamilyRelatives.com - (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg.org.uk - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|COUNTISBURY PARISH (1676) Online Records|
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241321. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 700-702. Date accessed: 03 December 2012.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ 'Devon Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com,' Family Relatives, accessed 12 March 2012. Taken from Phillimore Marriage Indexes.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.
- This page was last modified on 12 February 2014, at 20:43.
- This page has been accessed 720 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More