Court of the Archdeaconry of ClevelandEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A general explanation of probate records in England, is given in the article England Probate Records.
Probate is the legal court process by which the estate of a deceased person is distributed to his or her heirs. The term probate refers to a collection of documents, including wills, administrations (also called admons), inventories, and act books. The Church of England ecclesiastical courts had authority for this process until to 1858.
Step By Step
1. Search indexes to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail given in the index.
2. Go to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Obtain the records to search. Use one of these methods to find indexes and records.
- Contact or visit the Archive (see below) or hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf.
- Order microfilm copies of the indexes and records listed in the Family History Library Records (see section below) by visiting the Family History Library or one of itsfamily history centers and search indexes and records.
Indexes for courts in Yorkshire are available online on British Origins. This is a subscription site.
Printed and Published Indexes
The records for this court are held in the Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
Family History Library Records
Any probate that was disputed and could not be settled by the county courts could be sent to these higher appeals courts:
Estate Duty Records
Starting in 1796, a tax or death duty was payable on estates over a certain value. Estate duty abstracts may add considerable information not found elsewhere. Estate duty indexes may help locate a will. For more information, go to Estate Duty Records.
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2015, at 23:25.
- This page has been accessed 1,488 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News