Court of the Peculiar Parish of ThameEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Records" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Oxfordshire Record Office, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Here is a partial index for Oxfordshire wills from 1550-1590
- Index to the Peculiar Court of Thame and Great Milton. Contains a list of names extracted from wills proved in the court of the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln cathedral for the Peculiar of Thame and Great Milton, 1736-1857, held in Oxfordshire Record Office under reference MSS.Wills.Pec 11-19. The main list comprising over 3,400 names is arranged in alphabetic sequence and has a reference number against each name to the list of testators. A 2-character relationship code is also shown where the person named is stated to have a relationship to the testator. The list of testators is presented in reference number sequence and shows, for each testator, the Oxfordshire Record Office reference, the date of the will, the date the will was proved and the name and location of the testator. (Transcribed wills by the Eureka Partnership, c2004; Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire: c2004)
Indexes at The Family History Library
Indexes are included with the original and microfilmed records. See also:
- The Peculiar Court of Thame and Great Milton 1736-1857 (transcribed wills)
- Index to the probate records of the Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Oxford, 1733-1857; and of the Oxfordshire peculiars, 1547-1856
- Probate records of the courts of the Bishop and Archdeacon of Oxford, 1516-1732
For a search in the probate records of this court write the:
St Luke's Church
Oxford OX4 2HT.
Tel: 44 (0)1865 398200
Fax: 44 (0)1865 398201
- Filed Wills & Administration Bonds (see Banbury)
- Registered Wills & Administrations 1698-1850; for years 1851-1858, see Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.
- Administration Act Book 1674-1856 see Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
Family History Library Records
This court is a prebend in the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The jurisdiction of this court includes the parish of Great Milton, parish of Thame (and its hamlets), and also the parishes of Sydenham and Tetsworth--all in Oxfordshire, and the Buckinghamshire parishes of Aylesbury (and its hamlets), and Towersey.
- This page was last modified on 12 June 2015, at 02:19.
- This page has been accessed 1,278 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News