Court of the Peculiar of Burton on TrentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court. Also see "Probate Records of This Court in The Family History Library".
3. Contact or visit the Lichfield Record Office (see below address), or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Surviving wills and admons to the Court of the Peculiar of Burton on Trent have to some extent been indexed with the following ones:
Here is an online printed (scanned images) from 1516-1652. This is not a complete listing of all wills for this time period, but, it might be helpful to those searching during this time.
Printed and Published Indexes
Original Handwritten Indexes
There is an index (manuscript) from 1516 to 1857 covering most if not all wills in Staffordshire including both the Consistory Court of Lichfield and also the smaller or peculiar courts.
Microfilmed Indexes at the Family History Library
The indexes as listed in the above are also available in the collection of The Family History Library and they are on microfilm and may be circulated to each of its satellite Family History Centers worldwide.
In addition, the Family History Library has a more comprehensive microfilmed set of Calendars of probate records which partially indexes the surnames (by first letter of surname only) available for the years from 1492 to 1860.
Lichfield Record Office (formerly Lichfield Joint Record Office)
Lichfield Staffs WS13 6QG
Telephone: U.K. 01543 510720 Overseas (+44) 1543 510720
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Original Wills & Admons 1678-1858
Family History Library Records
The Court of the Peculiar of Burton on Trent held jurisdiction over this Staffordshire parish. When a search of this court’s probate records fails to provide the desired probate record, be sure to search the Consistory Court of Lichfield as well as the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Amazingly, the Lichfield Archives has alphabetically arranged many of the diocesan wills by each letter of each surname as well (see the next section below).
- This page was last modified on 17 November 2011, at 22:11.
- This page has been accessed 1,461 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News