Court of the Peculiar of HartingtonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Step by Step
1. First search each applicable index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court. Also see
3. Contact or visit the Lichfield Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records. Then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any center near you.
Printed and Published Indexes
The collection on microfilm includes a Calendar of wills, administrations and inventories. A calendar is an index arranged first alphabetically by the beginning letter of a testator's surname and second by date.
The British Index Library has published an index to wills for 1529-1652 for the peculiars deposited at Lichfield including Hartington. However, it is doubtful that it actually includes Hartington wills since no records apparently survive for this period.
The records are held at the Lichfield Record Office and they include:
- Original wills, 1752-1858
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Family History Library Records
- Original wills, administrations and inventories from various Peculiar Courts (including Hartington). The records are arranged by first letter of the testator's surname then by date.
This court had primary jurisdiction in the parish of Hartington and chapelry of Earl Sterndale, and in the parishes of Buxton and Winster and the towns or villages of Biggin, Burbage, High Needham, Newham, and Newhaven. The peculiar was under the superior authority of the Diocese of Lichfield.
- This page was last modified on 20 November 2011, at 02:11.
- This page has been accessed 775 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback