Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of PattinghamEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court. Also see "Probate Records of This Court in The Family History Library".
3. Contact or visit the Lichfield Record Office (see address below), or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Surviving wills and admons to the Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Pattingham had to some extent been indexed with the following ones:
Printed and Published Indexes
Original Handwritten Indexes
There is an index (manuscript) covering most if not all wills in Staffordshire including both the Consistory Court of Lichfield and also this smaller or peculiar court.
Microfilmed Indexes at the Family History Library
The indexes as listed in the above are also available in the collection of The Family History Library and they are on microfilm and may be circulated to each of its satellite Family History Centers worldwide.
In addition, the Family History Library has a more comprehensive microfilmed set of Calendars of probate records which partially indexes the surnames (by first letter of surname only) available for the years from 1492 to 1860.
Amazingly, the Lichfield Archives has alphabetically arranged many of the diocesan wills by each letter of each surname as well (see the next section below).
Lichfield Record Office (formerly Lichfield Joint Record Office)
Lichfield Staffs WS13 6QG
Telephone: U.K. 01543 510720 Overseas (+44) 1543 510720
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Original Wills 1700-1706 only
Family History Library Records
Contact the County record Office at the above address for further information regarding these records
The Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Pattingham held jurisdiction over the parish of Pattingham in Staffordshire. The peculiar's jurisdiction extended to the small Shropshire portion of the Rudge Township. When a search of this court's probate records fail to provide the desired probate record, be sure to search the Consistory Court of Lichfield as well as the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
- This page was last modified on 7 January 2011, at 07:31.
- This page has been accessed 408 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More