Cynnedd, Breconshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
CANTRÊV, a parish, in the hundred of Pencelly, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales; comprising the upper division, or chapelry of Nantddû, and the lower division, or hamlet of Cantrêv; and 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Brecknock. The church of Cantrêv is situated about a mile from the river Usk, and a little further from the Brecknock and Crickhowel road. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is romantically situated on a well-wooded eminence just above the river Cynrig, and consists of a nave and chancel, rebuilt in 1829.
Also known as Cantref. St Mary's church lies in the small village of Cantref some 3km to the south-east of Brecon. The church is a 19thC structure but the tower is earlier, thought to be around 1600 in date. It contains little of pre-Victorian origin, the only medieval furnishing being a font of perhaps 12thC date. It is set in a rectilinear churchyard containing a fairly standard collection of memorials. The Episcopal Register of St Davids refers to the church at Cantref in 1402, but there are no references in the Taxatios of the 13thC. The Valor Ecclesiasticus of 1535 valued 'Cantreff' at œ9 9s 7d. The church was rebuilt in 1829, and altered in 1867 by C. Buckeridge. For more information see Cantref, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464300.
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:27.
- This page has been accessed 362 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News