DIS Genealogical Society of SwedenEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Back to Sweden►
DIS is the name of a nonprofit Swedish genealogical society that is focused on using and developing computer technology to assist genealogical research. The acronym DIS stands for Datorhjälp I Släktforskning meaning, data assistance for genealogical research. The society has its own roots back to the Östergötland Genealogical Society (Östgöta Genealogiska Förening) when DIS was created on April 1, 1980 in Linköping, Sweden. It is considered the world’s oldest genealogical association focused on the use of computer technologies. Although DIS is a nonprofit organization they do require a minimal membership fee which includes a variety of membership benefits. DIS publishes a periodical called "Diskulogen med Släktforskarnytt" meaning Diskulogen with Genealogy News that prints an estimated 28,000 copies 4 times a year.
Through the years DIS has created multiple data tools for the family history researcher. They include:
- Disbyt – the individual and family search database
- Dispos – a resource database
- Disgen – a Swedish family tree program
- DIS Arkiv - Preservation
Within DIS there are eight regional organizations. Each regional group is responsible for the direct contact with its members in a variety of ways. Through their membership people can participate in meetings, training, lectures, and trip excursions within their respective region. In 2008 DIS had more than 27,000 members.
The regional organizations are listed by their Swedish name followed by the associated province or regions. For more information about each organization, click on the “more info” link.
- Dis-Nord: Norrbotten, Västerbotten, Lappland
- Dis-Mitt: Västernorrland, Gävleborg, and Jämtland
- Dis-Bergslagen: Dalarna, Västmanland, Närke, western Uppland, northern Södermanland, and Värmland
- Dis-Öst: Stockholm and eastern Svealand
- Dis-Filbyter: Östergötland and southern Södermanland
- Dis-Väst: Västra Götaland and northern Halland
- Dis-Småland: Jönköping, Kronoberg, and Kalmar
- Dis-Syd: Skåne, Blekinge, and southern Halland
- DIS also has sister organizations in Denmark and Norway.
- DIS is a member of The Federation of Swedish Genealogical Societies (Sveriges Släktforskarförbund)
- This page was last modified on 10 February 2015, at 21:29.
- This page has been accessed 3,468 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More