Dakota County, Minnesota GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Dakota County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Dakota County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||October 27, 1849|
|Address|| Dakota County Courthouse|
1590 Highway 55
Hastings, MN 55033
Dakota County Website
Dakota County, Minnesota Record Dates
Clerk District Court has birth and death records from 1870,
marriage records from 1857, divorce and court records from 1853. 
1849--Dakota County was created 27 October 1849 from unorganized territory. County seat: Hastings 
- For a brief history of how Dakota County was named, click here. Then select Dakota County.
Apple Valley | Burnsville | Coates | Eagan | Farmington | Hampton | Hastings | Inver Grove Heights
Lakeville | Lilydale | Mendota | Mendota Heights | Miesville | New Trier | Northfield | Randolph
Rosemount | South St. Paul | Sunfish Lake | Vermillion | West St. Paul
Castle Rock | Douglas | Empire Township |Eureka | Greenvale | Hampton | Marshan | Nininger | Ravenna
Sciota | Vermillion | Waterford
- Dakota County Historical Society Online cemetery records.
- Dakota County Historical Society Searchable Dakota County census databases for the years 1857, 1860, 1865, 1875, 1880, 1885, 1900, 1920, and 1930.
- Dakota County Historical Society Mortality censuses for Dakota County for 1870 and 1880.
- Dakota County Historical Society Native American censuses for Dakota County for the years 1900 and 1910.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
- Catholic Church Records for Dakota County The Dakota Historical Society has microfilmed all the records of all the Catholic Churches in Dakota County. Use the searchable index to find baptism, marriage and death records.
Christiana Free Lutheran Church, Farmington
- Records of the Christiana Lutheran Church, Farmington, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Christiana Free Lutheran Church, Lakeville
- Records of Christiana Free Lutheran Church, Lakeville, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Dakota – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Dakota County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Dakota Historical Society Brief history of Dakota County.
- Dakota Historical Society Interactive map of Dakota Co. townships and villages. Click on a township and read its brief history.
- Dakota Historical Society Interactive map of Dakota County historical sites. Click on the map to read details of the historical sites.
Civil War service men from Dakota County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Dakota County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers), Companies A and G.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company H.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Companies F and H.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies B and F.
- - 4th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company C.
- - 5th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company G.
- - 6th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company A.
- - 7th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company F.
- - 8th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies F and K.
- - 10th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company H.
- - Brackett's Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company D.
- - Hatch's Independent Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry , Companies C and F.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Dakota County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Dakota County Newspapers Directory Links to locations and contact information.
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
- Dakota County Historical Society -- Online marriage and divorce records.
Societies and Libraries
Dakota County Historical Society
130 3rd Ave N
South St Paul MN 55075-2002
Phone: 651 552-7548
Dakota County Genealogical Society
130 3rd Ave N
South St Paul MN 55075-2002
Dakota City Heritage Village, Inc.
Mail: PO Box 73
4008 220th St W
Farmington MN 55024-0073
Phone: 651 460-8050
Farmington Area Historical Society
2890 Pilot Knob Rd,
Eagan MN 55121-1146
Phone: 651 454-4056
Lakeville Area Historical Society
20195 Holyoke Ave
Lakeville, MN 55044
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Dakota County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Wikipedia for Dakota County
- Dakota County GenWeb
- Cyndi's List: Dakota County
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Dakota County, Minnesota page 363, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
- This page was last modified on 29 January 2016, at 04:12.
- This page has been accessed 21,334 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News