Dartford, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Dartford, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Dartford Holy Trinity Kent
|Hundred||Axton, Dartford and Wilmington|
|Poor Law Union||Dartford PLU|
|Parish registers: 1561|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1718|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
DARTFORD (Holy Trinity), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Axton, Dartford, and Wilmington, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 15 miles (S. E.) from London, and 22 (N. W.) from Maidstone, on the great road from London to Canterbury and Dovor.
Dartford is a town and borough in the Dartford district of Kent Dartford Wikipedia
Dartford Holy Trinity is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Rochester Dartford deanery; a map of the parish boundary is available at A church near you
The church has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Other Anglican parishes formed from this parish include
St Alban St Albans Road see St Alban Dartford
Other places of worship in Dartford include
The Methodist Church Kent Road Dartford dates from 1844-1845 and has been designated asa grade II listed building British listed building
Baptist: Brent Chapel, East Hill. (c.1880).
Baptist Highfield Road see Baptist Chapel Highfield Road
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Dartford Holy Trinity parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|MED = Medway Ancestors - free|
|Dartford Holy Trinity Parish Online Records|
- Lovefield Street Independent Christenings 1797-1837 Batch (C068141)
- Waterside Wesleyan Christenings 1811-1837 Batch (C068151)
- Zion Independent Christenings 1820-1822; 1832-1833 Batch (C068131)
Dartford Christchurch parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Dartford Christchurch Parish Online Records|
Dartford St Alban the Martyr parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Dartford St Alban the Martyr Parish Online Records|
|MED||1903-1982||1903-1954||1903-1910; 1923-1937 (funerals)|
Dartford St Edmund King and Martyr parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Dartford St Edmund King and Martyr Parish Online Records|
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
Introduction to LDS Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
East Hill and Watling Street Cemetery in Dartford burials have been indexed from 1856 through 1870 at FreeREG - free.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 8-15. Date accessed: 22 July 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Medway Ancestors Imagebase: list of parishes, in alphabetical order', Cityark, accessed 8 November 2013.
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2015, at 23:57.
- This page has been accessed 9,249 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More