Dawson County, MontanaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Dawson County Montana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Dawson County, Montana|
Location of Montana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1869|
|Address|| Dawson County Courthouse|
213 Main Street
PO Box 247;
Scobey, MT 59263
Dawson County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|* For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent County: created 15 January 1869 as an original county.
- County seat: Glendive 
- Neighboring Counties: McCone | Prairie | Richland | Wibaux
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Montana denominations, view the Montana Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Dawson County, Montana. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Montana Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Montana Land and Property for additional information about early Montana land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Dawson County, Montana newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Montana, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, inheritance records, probate packets, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The Family History Library Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Montana, Dawson - Probate records.
County Clerk Recorder has birth and death records from 1920 and land records; Clerk Court has marriage, divorce and probate records from 1920; Clerk District has court records
Family History Centers
Montana tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most birth and death original records can be purchased from the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. For information about marriages, divorces, and requirements for obtaining any vital records, see the CDC Where to Write website.
- Western States Marriage Index includes marriages from 1883-1900
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library CatalogDawson County; 207 W Bell St; Glendive, MT 59330-1694; Ph. 406.377.3058 Details: (Co Clk has b & d rec from 1895 & land rec from 1882; Clk Cts has m, div & ct rec from 1882 & pro rec from 1889)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 415.
- This page was last modified on 25 February 2014, at 21:09.
- This page has been accessed 3,563 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More