Delta County, Colorado GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Delta County, Colorado ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Delta County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||February 11, 1883|
|Address|| Delta County Courthouse|
501 Palmer St
Delta, CO 81416-1753
Delta County Website
County Clerk has birth records from 1920, marriage, death
and land records from 1883 and school census 1891-1964;
Clerk District Court has divorce, probate and court records
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- 1883--Delta County was created 11 February 1883 from Gunnison County.
For tips on accessing Delta County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Colorado denominations, view the Colorado Church Records wiki page.
Local histories are available for Delta County, Colorado Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Colorado Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Delta County, Colorado Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Colorado State Archives has the following records available for Delta County, Colorado Genealogy in this online database Archives Search. For a full list of online holdings, click here.
Civilian Conservation Corps Enrollments 1936 - 1942
Divorce Index 1880 - 1939
Horseshoers 1897 - 1920
Mine Accidents, Non - fatal 1883 - 1900
Vietnam Deaths 1966, 1968
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See [[Introduction to LDS Family History Centers|Family History Center] for more information. Search the [https://familysearch.org/ask/help#localResource online FHC director for a nearby family history center.
- Delta County Public Libraries Web Site
- Hotchkiss Public Library
149 E. Main
Hotchkiss, CO 81419
Telephone: 970- 672-0056
- Cederedge Public Library
180 SW 6th Avenue
P.O. Box 548
Cedaredge, CO 81413
Phone (970) 856-3518
- Crawford Public Library
545 Hwy 92
Crawford, CO 81415
- Delta Public Library
211 W 6th St.
Delta, CO 81416
- Paonia Public Library
2 3rd St.
PO Box 969
Paonia, CO 81428
- Delta County Historical Society
251 Meeker Street
Delta, CO 81416-1914
Delta County Historical Society
251 Meeker Street
Delta, CO 81416-1914
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Catalog/frameset_fhlc.asp Place Search for the county.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
Birth records may become public records when 100 years have elapsed after the date of birth. EXCEPTION: The birth record of any individual who is known to be currently alive will remain confidential even if they are 100 years of age or greater. 
- 1853 - 2006 Colorado Statewide Marriage Index, 1853-2006 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1900 - 1939 Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1859 - 1900 Colorado Marriages, 1859-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
Death records may become public records when 75 years have elapsed after the date of death. 
- Grand Mesa
- Lazear -- an unincorporated town
- Orchard City -- an incorporated town which also contains the communities of Austin and Cory
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Delta County, Colorado. Page 98 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 The Red Book, American State, County, and Town Sources. Edited by Alice Eichholz. (Ancestry, Provo; 3d ed, 2004.) Colorado article by Birdie Monk Holzclaw and Marsha Hoffman Rising. page 92.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Letter from Colorado State Registrar, Dated September 1, 2011. Policy Number 2011- 08. http://www.colorado.gov
- This page was last modified on 22 September 2015, at 20:51.
- This page has been accessed 10,717 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News