Denver County, Colorado GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Denver County, Colorado ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Denver County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||March 18, 1901|
|Address|| Denver County Courthouse|
1437 Bannock Street Ste 200
Denver, CO 80202
Denver County Website
Denver County has annexed territory from Arapahoe, Adams and Jefferson Counties on several occasions. The county clerk has marriage records from 1902 and land records from 1859.
The clerk of the district court has divorce records from 1967, probate and court records from 1858.
City of Denver Vital Records
605 Bannock Street, Rm 302
Denver, CO 80204
Clerk & Recorder's Office
City and County Building
1437 Bannock Street, Rm 391
Denver, CO 80202
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
1901--Denver County was created 18 March 1901 from Arapahoe County.
Business Records and Commerce
- Fort Logan National Cemetery, Denver BillionGraves
- Hampden Memorial Gardens Cemetery, Denver BillionGraves
The William P. Horan Burial Records online index for Denver area burials from 1900 to 1956 can be accessed here.
For tips on accessing Denver County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Colorado denominations, view the Colorado Church Records wiki page.
- Records of Trinity Lutheran Church, Denver, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Denver County Old Age Pension Records 1933-1936. An Index compiled from the offical record of the applications granted by the Denver County Commissioners during these years. Record may show the following:
- Name of Applicant
- Date and Amount of pension payment
- Any adjustments to the pension
- Person's age
- Town nearest to where they lived
- Other Actions done by the County
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Denver County, Colorado Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Colorado Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
Colorado State Archives has put the Denver War Risk Insurance Applicants Index for the years 1916-1919 on-line.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Denver County, Colorado Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
FamilySearch has a browseable collection of Probate Files, 1900 to 1925.
The Colorado State Archives has the following records available for Denver County, Colorado Genealogy in this online database Archives Search. For a full list of online holdings, click here.
Civilian Conservation Corps Enrollments 1936 - 1942
Divorce Index 1880 - 1939
Horseshoers 1897 - 1920
Mine Accidents, Non - fatal 1883 - 1900
Vietnam Deaths 1966, 1968
Denver Birth Index 1875 - 1909
Denver Death Index 1870 - 1909
Denver Inheritance Tax 1909 - 1912
Denver Lot and Block Index 1862 - 1917
Denver Old Age Pension 1933 - 1936
Denver War Risk Insurance Applications 1914 - 1917
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Swedish Genealogical Society of Colorado
PO Box 746255
Arvada, CO 80006
- WISE Family History Society (Wales, Ireland, Scotland, England)
P.O. Box 40658
Denver, CO 80204-0658
- Genealogical Society Of Hispanic America
P.O. Box 3040
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Catalog/frameset_fhlc.asp Place Search for the county.
Colorado State Archives has put the Denver County Inheritance Tax Records Index for the years 1909-1912 on-line.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
Birth records may become public records when 100 years have elapsed after the date of birth. EXCEPTION: The birth record of any individual who is known to be currently alive will remain confidential even if they are 100 years of age or greater. 
The Colorado Genealogical Society and the Denver Library have compiled a free Marriage Index in a scanned PDF format listing 456,000+ marriages conducted between 1858-1939, cross listing the names of both bride and groom, with the date and place of marriage and the license number. Accessible free online at: http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p16079coll37/id/14516/rec/12
- 1853 - 2006 Colorado Statewide Marriage Index, 1853-2006 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1900 - 1939 Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1859 - 1900 Colorado Marriages, 1859-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
Death records may become public records when 75 years have elapsed after the date of death. 
All divorces and divorce records are handled by the Denver County Courts, Colorado Judicial District 2. Please contact their office directly at 720-865-8301.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Denver City and County, Colorado Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Denver County Genealogy (Colorado Genealogy)
- Denver Public Library (Genealogy & Obituaries Database)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Denver County, Colorado. Page 98 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Earliest Colorado Vital Records on File in Colorado Counties, pub. by Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, accessed on www.colorado.gov
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 The Red Book, American State, County, and Town Sources. Edited by Alice Eichholz. (Ancestry, Provo; 3d ed, 2004.) Colorado article by Birdie Monk Holzclaw and Marsha Hoffman Rising. page 92.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton fckLRPublishers, 2002).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Letter from Colorado State Registrar, Dated September 1, 2011. Policy Number 2011- 08. http://www.colorado.gov
- This page was last modified on 31 March 2015, at 15:08.
- This page has been accessed 17,664 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News