Dolwyddelan, ConwyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
In the 1870s: "DOLWYDDELAN, a village and a parish in the district of Llanrwst and county of Carnarvon. The village stands on the river Lledr, under Moel-Siabod, amid most sequestered mountainous environs, 7 miles SW of Llanrwst r. station; and has a post office under Conway. The parish comprises 14, 384 acres. Real property, £1, 974; of which £98 are in quarries. Pop., 811. Houses, 164. The property is all in one estate. Dolwyddelan Castle, crowning a rocky steep, and including a massive square tower, dates from the 5th or 6th century; belonged to the Welsh princes; was the birth-place of Llewelyn the Great; and passed to the Berkenets, Meredith ap Evan, and the Gwynnes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £107. Patron, Lord Willough-by de Eresby. The church is good; and there are chapels for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists." [John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)]
For more information on Dolwyddelan see:Genuki - Dolwyddelan
|before 31 March 1974||Caernarfonshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Gwynedd|
|from 1 April 1996||Conwy|
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 00:15.
- This page has been accessed 466 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News