Donnelly, Valley County, Idaho GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Donnelly City Hall
169 Halferty St
Donnelly, ID 83615
Phone: (208) 325-8859
Church History and Records
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
There is no meetinghouse in Donnelly. Members attend meetings in Cascade or McCall.
Shiloh Bible Conference
13165 Gestrin Street
Donnelly, ID 83615
The Idaho State Archives in Boise has a collection of city, county, regional and state directories.
Early settlers came to the valley in 1886. Settlers held land by “squatter’s rights”. In 1890 the land was surveyed, latter the “squatters” secured land under the Homestead Act. The Post Office was established in 1892, with Lewis Roseberry as the postmaster. So the town was first called Roseberry, after Lewis Roseberry. The first store was also started in 1892, owned by J.W. Pottenger and W.B. Boydsten.
The lower valleys were used by the cattlemen for a summer pasture. When the homesteaders came there were many wars between the homesteaders and the cattlemen. Winter 1888-89 the settlers did not realize how deep the snow would get. Snow fell steady and deep. There was not enough hay or feed to give the cattle, so they tried to drive the cattle over the mountain. It did not work, many of the cattle died. In 1914 Roseberry became the largest town in the valley. Name was change to Donnelly after a prominent railroad man.
Military History and Records
There are no copies of Donnelly Idaho newspapers in the collections of the Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho, but copies of papers of nearby towns that are in the Archives may be of help to residents of Donnelly.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:09.
- This page has been accessed 1,590 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News