Dorset Civil RegistrationEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The mandatory civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths in Dorset was introduced on 1 July 1837 and it was throughout England. The registration districts were organised based on poor law unions. Records are held in the Dorset Record Office.
Civil Registration Districts in Dorset
- Beaminster - included Somerset parishes
- Sherborne - included Somerset parishes that were later transferred to Dorset
In 1837 some Dorset parishes were included in registration districts organised in neighbouring counties
- Axminster - included Dorset parishes that were later transferred to Devon
- Chard - included Dorset parishes that were later transferred to Somerset
- Wambrook transferred to Somerset in 1895
- Mere - included Dorset parishes
- Wincanton - included Dorset parishes
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 00:02.
- This page has been accessed 1,789 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News