Dudley St Luke, WorcestershireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Dudley St Luke was formed as a district church from Dudley St Thomas, Worcestershire. Created in 1876 from Dudley (St Thomas) Ancient Parish. Abolished in 1969 to help create Dudley St Thomas & St Luke Ecclesiastical Parish. Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction: Archdeaconry & Diocese of Worcester until 1921, Archdeaconry of Dudley & Diocese of Worcester (1921 - ).
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Before the following register dates and afterwards refer to deposited registers (or microfilm) of the mother parish Dudley St Thomas, Worcestershire
Dudley Archives has deposited Parish registers Bap 1876-1970 Marr 1877-1977 (microfilmed for Bap 1876-1948 and marriages 1877-1942)
Coverage of the Dudley parishes in the International Genealogical Index for the microfilmed years of St Thomas and St Edmund's parishes is generally good for Baptism and Marriage records but will not include data for this parish and index entries for Dudley should be compared with the original record source to establish transcription errors or submission from individuals which may not be based on deposited records at Dudley Archives. It is also advisable to seek burial records from the burials registers which rarely fature in the indexed batches of the International Genealogical Index.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.Many Dudley district churches, mission churches were created in the period beyond the reach of extracted index for the area and primary source research is advised.
Many of Dudley Parish Register entries have been transcribed in full by Staffordshire Freereg and can be searched for free.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464207. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Worcestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
Web sitesWorcester Branch of the Birmingham and Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ http://www.worcesterbmsgh.co.uk/parish/dudley-st-luke Date accessed and adapted: 26 December 2013.
- This page was last modified on 15 January 2014, at 03:03.
- This page has been accessed 502 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More