Eastern Cherokee Indian Agency (North Carolina)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
United States American Indians Indians of North Carolina Eastern Cherokee Indian Agency (North Carolina) Guide to Eastern Cherokee Indian Agency (North Carolina) ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Between 1824 and 1839 there were two Cherokee Agencies in operation, one for the Cherokee Indians living east and one for those living west of the Mississippi River.
Agencies and subagencies were created as administrative offices of the Bureau of Indian Affairs and its predecessors. Their purpose was (and is) to manage Indian affairs with the tribes, to enforce policies, and to assist in maintaining the peace. The names and location of these agencies may have changed, but their purpose remained basically the same. Many of the records of genealogical value (for the tribe and tribal members) were created by and maintained by the agencies.
Eastern Cherokee Enrolling Commission. Decisions in enrollment cases under the act of June 4, 1924; 1924-1928. FHL film: 847750-847753
- ↑ Hill, Edward E.. the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. Clearwater publishing Co., New York, NY C 1974. FHL Book 970.1 H551o
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- This page was last modified on 19 March 2015, at 18:13.
- This page has been accessed 800 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More