England Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
Question #1: Some of the records have been indexed with the wrong information such as dates, parish, town, or county name. How can I tell what is the correct information?
Answer #1: For all records, the event correct information can be checked on original parish, town, or county records or microfilm of such records, when available. These records can be ordered for viewing at a FamilySearch Center. For instructions on ordering microfilm see: Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche
The Library Catalog and microfilm of Bishop’s Transcripts and Archdeacon’s Transcripts, when available, can also be usefully compared with the death or burial place in an indexed entry.
The following is a list of known problems:
- Batch B01304-5 Film 1514684. These are burial records, not death records. The death place is incorrectly listed as Liverpool, Lancashire England but the burials are from Monkwearmouth, Durham or Monwearmouth Shore, Durham. The death location is not recorded on the film and is unknown.
- Batch B01564-7 Film 1894165. The film number and burial location is incorrect. The correct film number is 1594165 and the location is Abney Park cemetery, Stoke-Newington, Middlesex.
- Batch B01796-7 Film 1885712. The burial place is Winwick (St. Oswald) Lancaster, England not death place in Dallas, Gaston, North Carolina.
- Batch B01894-3, Film 1279458 All records from this batch are from Berkshire. However, the parish has been omitted from the index. You will need to look through the film to find the correct parish do not have the parish location.
- Batch B02329-7, Film 1470777. The burial place is shown as Stafford Co. There is no Stafford County. It is Staffordshire.
- Batch I00355-6, Film 1836196. There are records from both Dover and Sturry, Kent in this batch. All have been indexed as Dover. Any death records prior to 1813 are from Sturry.
- Batch I02069-9, Film 1736521. Records are from Alkham, Kent not Norfolk.
- Batch I02070-7, Film 1936955. Records are from St Mary and St Thomas Aquinas, Stella, Durham, not from Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- Batches I02195-0 (burials 1642-1710), I02195-1 (burials 1710-1748), I02195-5 (burials 1748-1793), I02195-6 (burials 1793-1812). Burial records from Alnwick, Northumberland, England are incorrectly indexed as Corbridge, Northumberland, England.
- Batch I02241-3, Film 1470863. Most of the records from the batch are shown as occurring in Wood Dalling. Any Wood Dalling locations are questionable as the records could be from Norfolk parishes falling alphabetically after Wood Dalling.
- Batch I02314-2, Film 1469094 Records from Doddington, Northumberland, England, are incorrectly indexed as Kyloe, Northumberland, Northumberland.
- Batch I02377-8, Film 1470912. Over Stowey and Pilton have all been attributed to Pilton, Somerset. Need to look at film to confirm information.
- Batches I02506-4, I02506-5 film 1040361. Death records from item 8 or 9 this film are from St Johns, Hackney parish not St Thomas. Death records from item 10 of this film are from St Leonards churchyard in Shoreditch
- Batch I03058-3, film 1470910. The event place is given as West Hatch, Somerset, England. The correct event place is Nether Stowey, Somerset, England.
- Batch I03327-8, Film 1526322. All the records are shown as being from St. Martin At Oak Church, Norwich, Norfolk. However, the film also has records from St. Martin-at-Palace Church, Norwich and St. Michael Coslany Church, Norwich. Need to look at the film to determine the correct event location
- Batches I03349-7, I03349-8, I03349-9. Burial records from Chapelry of Bradfield, York, England are incorrectly indexed as Ecclesfield, York, England.
- Batch I03964-7. The event place has been indexed as Cahlvington. It should be Chalvington.
- Batches I04300-2, I04300-3, I04415-4, I04415-5, Film 1999830. All of the records are shown as being from Hornton, Oxford. However, many of the records are in the 1600's and the Hornton records only start in the 1800's. Need to look at the film to determine the correct location.
- Batch I04637-5, Film 199946. Records are from both Irchester and Irthlingborough, Northampton but have all been indexed as from Irchester. Need to look at the film to determine the correct location.
- Batches I04790-7, I04790-9, I04791-1, I04791-4 Film 1545479. The records are shown as being from Wardleworth in 1700, 1702, 1704, and 1706. The correct location is Rochdale and the years are 1700, 1702, 1704, and 1706.
- Batch I06791-6. The event place was indexed as Lazant. It should be Lezant.
- Batch I07402-8 and I07402-9, film 1702622. Records from Docking are incorrectly attributed to Garboldisham.
- Batch I07435-5, Burial records from Wimbotsham, Norfolk, England are incorrectly indexed as Weasenham-All Saints (or -Allsaints), Norfolk, England.
- Batch I07537-8, Film 1951376. These records are from Kenninghall, Norfolk not Hargham.
- Film 2262748. The film has records from both Marham and Hockwold-cum-Wilton but most have been indexed as being from Marham. It may be possible to find the correct location by searching in the England, Norfolk Parish Registers, 1538-1900 collection
Question #2: Some baptisms have been indexed as death or burial records. How can I ensure I do not interpret these baptismal records as death or burial records?
Answer #2: The following is a list on known instances of baptismal records being indexed as death or burial records.
- Batch B03424-7 Film #: 2113207. Two pages of baptism records have been indexed as burial records in Prestwich, Lancaster, England. They cover the years 1815-1825. The same records have been refilmed (Film 2356233) and patially indexed in the England, Lancashire, Cheshire, Yorkshire, Parish Registers, 1603-1910 collection. If there are differences between the birth or death information beteeen the two films, use the data from film 2356233.
- Batch:I033927 A single page of baptismal records from Bumpstead-Helion, Essex, England are incorrectly indexed as burial records. If you search by Batch Number: I033927 and Death, Event Range: 1838-1838, the eight (8) search results with entries in the parents field and burial date range: 29 Jul, 5 Aug, 2 Sep 1838 are actually baptismal records.
Question #3: Are burial records extracted from film 0992467 all from Kent, Gravesend, St George?
Answer #3: There are multiple graveyards in Gravesend. Some of the extracted records in the England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991 collection have been attributed to Gravesend, St. George when the actual record indicates the burial location only as Gravesend. To determine which is the correct location, go to the England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 > Kent browse point and browse through the three different Gravesend locations to find the original record.
Question #4: I have searched for a person and found two results. All of the information is the same, except the place of death. How can I determine the correct death location?
Answer #4: When a search yields several records for the same person, and the information in the indexes do not match, you can check the Catalog (as described in Answer #1 above) to verify the correct location.
Question #5: Batch B02524-7 shows the Race field and all records show the Race as White. Is this correct?
Answer #5: The Race field should be blank. There is no information on the original records about race.
Question #6: Some indexed records do not identify the correct film number for those records. Is there a list of these errors?
Answer #6: The following is a list of known cases where the film number does not match the indexed records:
- Batch B03180-0, Film 916844. Film 916844 has records from England, Devon, Exeter - Church records but the indexed information is from North Carolina. The correct film number is unknown
- Batch I02292-5, film 1471002. Film 1471002 has record from Bishop's transcripts for the Archdeaconry of Norfolk but not the records from batch I02292-5. The correct film number is unknown.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at email@example.com. Please include the following information:
- If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the England Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 10 February 2015, at 01:40.
- This page has been accessed 3,907 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More