England PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. In England periodicals are called journals. Journals are published by societies created for the study of family history, local history, or one surname. Articles in journals often include:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees.
- Transcripts of church records, migration lists, and cemetery records.
- Suggestions for research procedures.
- Information about local records, archives, and services.
- Book advertisements and book reviews.
- Research advertisements.
- Researcher’s queries or requests for information about their ancestors.
A few of the countrywide journals are:
- Ancestors Published by The National Archives Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU England Ancestors Magazine
- Family History. 1962–. Published by the Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies, Northgate, Canterbury, Kent CT1 1BA, England. (FHL book 942 B2f.) This journal includes informative articles on heraldry, genealogy, and family history, and contains notices of books for sale and courses offered by the Institute.
- Family History Monthly Published by Diamond Publishing, 140 Wales Farm Road, London W3 6UG Family History Monthly
- Family Tree Magazine. 1984–. Published by ABM Publishing, 61 Great Whyte, Ramsey, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire PE26 1HJ England. (FHL book 942 D25f.) Features of this journal include informative articles, book reviews, advertisements, a question and answer column, and much more. Family Tree Magazine
- The Genealogists’ Magazine. 1925–. Published by the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, London EC1M 7BA, England. (FHL book 942 B2gm.) This journal features scholarly articles about records, book reviews, and information concerning the genealogical world. All of Each issue is indexed.
- Practical Family History, Published by ABM Publishing, 61 Great Whyte, Ramsey, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire PE26 1HJ England. Practical Family History
- Who Do You Think You Are? Published by BBC Magazines Bristol Ltd, Tower House, Fairfax Street, Bristol BS1 3BN Who Do You Think you Are? Magazine
Many major libraries have the following book:
- Ulrich’s International Periodicals Directory. New York, New York: Bowker, 1932–. (FHL book 016.05 Ul7p.) This book gives the subscription address and name for many journals.
Journals are available from the societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections have copies of many journals, especially those of the area they serve.
The Family History Library subscribes to most journals published by these societies. If you know the title, look in the Author/Title Search of the FamilySearch Catalog. If you do not know the title, look in the Place Search under ENGLAND or ENGLAND, [COUNTY] and one of the following subjects:
SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS
GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
HISTORY - PERIODICALS
- "Sussex (England) -- Antiquities Periodicals" http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Sussex%20(England)%20--%20Antiquities%20Periodicals%22
- This page was last modified on 13 October 2015, at 05:52.
- This page has been accessed 3,062 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News