Erbistock, WrexhamEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
It was a small parish, in both area and population and contained no townships.
A parish church dedicated to Saint Erbin was mentioned as far back as the 13th century but the present church, dedicated to Saint Hilary, was constructed in 1860.
Wrexham historian Alfred Neobard Palmer suggested that the name derives from "Erbin's stoke" meaning Erbin's stockaded ford.
The village became important as a crossing point on the River Dee, near the 17th century red sandstone Boat Inn. The inn takes its name from the hand-operated chain ferry which once crossed the river at this point, with remnants of the pull mechanism still existing nearby.
The village and its surrounding area have been defined as the Erbistock Village and Conservation Area by Wrexham county borough council. It includes Erbistock Hall (Grade II listed), Erbistock Mill, St Hilary's Church (Grade II listed), The Boat Inn (Grade II listed), The Old Rectory and Rose Hill (Grade II listed).
|pre 1536||Powys Fadog|
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Denbighshire and Flintshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
The Registry Office for the parishes of Ruabon and Erbistock was in High Street, Ruabon.
Births, marriages and deaths in Erbistock are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1974||Ruabon||Wrexham|| XXVII (1837-51)|
- The following Erbistock Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin:
|Baptisms||1680 - 1918|
|Marriages||1679 - 1970|
|Burials||1679 - 1991|
- The Clwyd Family History Society have published several volumes of the Erbistock parish registers.
- There are no official records available on the IGI for Erbistock parish.
Nonconformist Church Records
The following chapel records from Erbistock are available on the IGI:
|Ebenezer Independent Chapel, Erbistock||1814-1837||C101731|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 104270.
The parish of Erbistock formed part of the Ruabon sub-district of the Wrexham Registrar's District.
|1851||HO107/2503 folios 1 - 14|
|1861||RG9/4280 folios 1 - 8|
|1871||RG10/5652 folios 2 - 16|
|1881||RG11/5512 folios 1 - 10|
|1891||RG12/4612 folios 1 - 7|
|1901||RG13/5216 folios 1 - 10|
Poor Law Union
The parish of Erbistock was part of the Wrexham Union, which was created on 30 March 1837.
A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Bersham.
The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Erbistock Parish Church at Clwyd FHS
- Erbistock Parish Church at CPAT
- Erbistock Parish Church at the Open Church Network
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 00:18.
- This page has been accessed 3,846 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News