Exeter St Paul, Devon GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Exeter St Paul, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Exeter St Paul, Devon|
|Poor Law Union||Exeter Incorporation|
|Parish registers: 1754|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1609|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
EXETER, a city, and a county of itself, locally in the hundred of Wonford, S. division of Devon, of which it is the chief town, 44 miles (N. E.) from Plymouth, and 172 (W. by S.) from London. The city comprises the parishes of All Hallows Goldsmith-street, All Hallows-on-the Walls, St. Edmund, St. George, St. John, St. Kerrian, St. Lawrence, St. Martin, St. Mary-Arches, St. Mary Major, St. Mary-Steps, St. Olave, St. Pancras, St. Paul, St. Petrock, St. Stephen, and Holy Trinity, also the parochial chapelries of St. David and St. Sidwell, and the extra-parochial precincts of the Cathedral Close, Bedford, Bradninch, and Castle-yard. The parish church, St. Paul's, is a discharged rectory.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Exeter St Paul, Devon Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = Devon Parish Records (findmypast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|Exeter St Paul, Devon Genealogy Online Parish Records|
- Plymouth Brethren
The following non-Church of England denominations were located somewhere in Exeter, but the exact parish has not been identified:
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Countess of Huntingdon Methodist
- Roman Catholic
- Society of Friends/Quaker
- Wesleyan Methodist
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241331.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Exeter St Paul on GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 195-206. Date Accessed: 28 October 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Devon Parish Records Coverage,' Findmypast, accessed 15 November 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 9 January 2016, at 01:47.
- This page has been accessed 3,590 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News