FamilySearch Records training videosEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Training videos to help you get started searching the records on FamilySearch.org
Searching Historical Records
- Quick Start to Searching Records (1:43 min) is found at the Help Center on FamilySearch.org
Content: general search, filtering, couple search, Search Result.
- Steps to find the video:
- Click Product Support in the Help Center
- Select Get Support Now (in the Product support section)
- Click Searching Records
- Product Demo: Finding Records: Using Filters to Get Better Search Results (2:25 min)
Content: Narrowing Search Results, Filter by birthplace, viewing indexes and images, restrictions on images.
- Access to Records on FamilySearch (2:23) (answers questions about partnerships and restricted records)
Content: Who owns records, partner with others, access given in a variety of ways, limited rights, types of limitations, changing access. (excellent)
Records Preservation and Access
- Product Demo: Finding Records : Browsing Record Collections (4:39 min)
Content: How to find digital browse collections, filter for locality, organization of records, navigation. (excellent)
- FamilySearch Webinar - Robert Kehrer (30 minutes) (excellent)
Content: How to search the IGI, SSDI, Search by collection, narrowing the search results using filters and exact matches, searching using the main page, parent search, name variances, adding to My source Box, adding sources to FamilyTree. Section on searching the new FamilySearch catalog and view books (upcoming features). 21 June 2012
- Record Search Tips on FamilySearch (3:26 min)
Content: what types of information are found on different record types, different searches bring different results (beginner), (teaches with pictures).
Searching the Catalog / Books
- Finding Records: Searching the Catalog (6:37 min)
Content: How to start, records are being added, viewed at Family History Library and Family Search centers, description of all microfilmed records at Granite Mtn. Vault, differences between searching by Place Names and searching by Last Name, Using drop down lists, results lists, summary of records, catalog entries, availability and restrictions, film notes, printing film notes, filtering by category, other types of searches.
Research Wiki Videos
- Product Demo: Research Wiki: Searching the Research Wiki (5:50 min)
Content: research and search strategies, navigation, search by topic or locality, wildcards and quotes, various spellings, browse pages, links to other articles. (excellent)
- Researching in the FamilySearch Wiki: An Overview (12:40 min)
Content: state and county pages, languages, research guides, censuses, searching wiki, tracking changes, preferences, user pages, links to the main page, forums, discussions, user talk, getting help.
- Researching in the FamilySearch Wiki: A Case Study (8 min)
Content: Using Wiki to solve a research problem.
Beginning Genealogy Courses
- Click to find all 21 of the Beginning Genealogy Courses (5 minute episodes) in the Learning Center.
- This page was last modified on 16 May 2013, at 19:25.
- This page has been accessed 1,141 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More