FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 28 Feb 2012Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
MeetingPlace ID: 7770; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: 877-453-7266 1 p.m. Mountain time on Tuesdays
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
- Prior to joining the meeting for the first time, run the MeetingPlace Test to verify that you can participate in a web meeting.
Introduce new members
Kudos go to ...
Updates and follow up
- The upgrade to 1.17 is getting closer. They hope to have a version for us to test by March 7th, will you help test? -- janellv
- We need as many people to test this as possible. Do the normal things you do in the Wiki and report any problems that might come up. Give it a couple hours, at least.
- Illinois Sec. of State has changed their URL, so many of the Illinois pages will have broken links. Statewide indexes were also broken. Lise has corrected. Fix or add dead link template. Suggestion - make a master link list of the correct URL's.
Style Guide Discussions
- Genealogy Society Webmasters pages - how should we request these pages be named? They are not "research help" but not FamilySearch Wiki pages either, they are project based. -- janellv
- We don't want the wiki to be a "web hosting service"
- But supporting these kinds of projects could help bring people into the wiki
- We also got into a discussion about what is the right message for FHCs and Societies and how we all work together.
- Use sub pages? Create a naming convention for other types of projects - Genealogy Society Webmasters:.....Document in Style Guide as Project Name:etc.
- Problem of adding specific software for Webmasters that could be outdated quickly. There are multiple pages being added for this. This might be an option for Tech Tips, but that site is more user level, not as technical as Wiki end. This might need to be added to the style guide.
- Suggestion to check with Tech Tips to see if this a good article for them and then get back to contributor to suggest that site. Janell will check with Tech Tips and will follow up on this page.
- Stub template - when is a stub not a stub any longer? Lise 20:06, 21 February 2012 (UTC)
- Check Guatemala - word in template that was added by mistake?
- Wikipedia has new category called StartClass articles - a page that could be expanded with template on it to get more information on it and links on writing articles.
- Does the page need evaluation by someone who is more expertise on the subject - or are we just looking for someone to add to the page?
- Lise will contact contributor on Illinois page that could use more information.
- Before a stub template is removed, should blank headings be removed, or a note added that information might not be available at the time. Blank headings for reader can be distracting. Some headers may not apply
- Good subject for Forums? Get other opinions. Lise will put together a draft of proposal of stub versus non-stub and we will discuss that next week.
- As we evaluate, keep the Researchers in mind and be sure articles will show up by search engines in Google, etc. Title links by what they are, rather than "search here"
- Changes to FamilySearch Historical Records -- Shown in South Africa, KwaZulu Natal Indian Birth Returns (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- HS Stub Template
- Article Invitations - discussion about whether these should be included.
- Helpme image icon where you need content instead of wording?
- QR Codes in FHL to direct patrons to info about specific geographies.
Project Help Requests
- Need help with your project? See a project that needs to be done? Add it here:
Improve the Wiki
Moderators and Adopters
- Be part of the solution! Make your opinions known! Post comments to an existing thread or start a new discussion at Wiki Contributors Corner forum.
| Current forum threads of interest:
New since last week
Comments added since last week
Decisions made since last week
- This page was last modified on 28 February 2012, at 21:06.
- This page has been accessed 356 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More