FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 5 July 2012Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
MeetingPlace ID: 7770; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: 877-453-7266 1 p.m. Mountain time on Thursdays
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
- Prior to joining the meeting for the first time, run the MeetingPlace Test to verify that you can participate in a web meeting.
Introduce new members
Kudos go to ...
What do we need to discuss today?
- Where do we need to focus our attention?
Updates and follow up
Moderators and Adopters
Style Guide Discussions
Project Help Requests
- Need help with your project? See a project that needs to be done? Add it here:
- Idaho and Indian projects - Rorie is creating a spreadsheet showing what has been done previously and is planning for a meeting next week.
Improve the Wiki
- Paid site notification. Manual of Style guideline for paid sites is ambiguous concerning how to apply it. Thus it is applied inconsistently. Application should be clarified, and perhaps applied with a template to insure consistency.See guideline 9.2.3
- Change guidelines to indicate that text "paid service" or "fee site" could be used in place of the $ sign or in addition to it? Or - at least on the first instance on the page. The $ sign could be used in tables, with a note at the bottom to indicate that there would be a fee. For text, "paid service" could be added to the $ sign. Add a note that if the currency would be in a foreign currency, the $ sign might be left out or replaced by the sign for that country. The $ sign could also be replaced by the word, "(pay)" or "fee".
- Ken will put together specific wording that we can discuss next week!
- Discussion/Talk Page confusion. The template re translating an article to non-english has a statement "Please add any comments to the talk page." This can be confusing to some, since we have no talk pages–They are discussion page. Inconsistencies like this confuse some and make us look foolish to others. What about using the phrase “Talk/Discussion?” Wikipedia uses “talk” so we probably need to keep that word. See the following for policy (note the inconsistency between them):
FamilySearch Wiki:Talk page guidelines
Help:Discussion Pages (Talk Pages)
- Should the template be changed?
- We will ask tech people about changing the "Discussion" tab to "Talk"
- Why are we clearing out Portals? - Search engine problems and editing the pages was very difficult. They were hard to maintain. The search engines wouldn't show the whole page, only specific parts (sub-pages) of the page.
- Be part of the solution! Make your opinions known! Post comments to an existing thread or start a new discussion at Wiki Contributors Corner forum.
| Current forum threads of interest:
New since last week
Comments added since last week
Decisions made since last week
- This page was last modified on 5 July 2012, at 19:59.
- This page has been accessed 368 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More