FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 5 September 2013Edit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

To review the recording of a previous meeting, click MeetingPlace Select Find a Meeting (ID 7770), enter the date (or date range -- such as Jan 1, 2013), and click Search. Scroll down and select the meeting you wish to review.


Welcome

  • Mary Kirgan, a FHC Director from Springfield, Illinois



Kudos go to



Moderators and Adopters

Conversation in the call:

Wiki Content

To be continued from last Aug 29th meeting:

  • Handling outdated syllabi contained within the wiki:  
    • update articles?  Contact contributor?  Contact original presenter if not the wiki contributor?
    • archive them when obsolete?
    • delete and replace, if similar topic is needed?

Style guide implications - time-specific text.  "Currently" 

For discussion purposes, see Powerful Tips and Tricks for Searching Historical Documents in FamilySearch.

Gerry McGovern explains why it is so important to have processes in place to review and remove outdated content in "Why review and remove are such critical web skills."  It's worth a quick read.

 Lise 18:43, 29 August 2013 (UTC)

- We do not want to infringe on people contributing, but how do we point to it rather than put it in. (Syllabi archive?)  Create a template for syllabi, and to identify it when it is superceded.  Use tag "historical pages" or "superceded pages." This protects the integrity of the contribution.  Provide ability to direct to most current content. Steve volunteered to create the template: https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Template:Superseded

- Will use category called "archive."   He would like your feedback. Example:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Superseded

- Links in documents need to be changed to lastest articles so users can the find most recent.

Questions:  

  • What is the plan to implement this?  (Ideas:  add to help wanted: https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Help_Wanted, discuss on Support Team.)  Proposal: Edit the Help Wanted page so the Editing the Wiki section does not distract from the help portion (Graphic too large).  Help Wanted page has been edited by Lee:  https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/FamilySearch_Wiki:Help_wanted_on_the_Wiki
  • Is there a way to assign all the conference articles into a master category that contains all Syllabi content? ( a hierarchy within categories).
  • References like currently would preferrably be better if phrased "as of."  This should be added to style guide. 

Thought:  Contributors need to have the power to remove/archive articles.  We will discuss next week more completely.

We will discuss further next week.

New Items

We will open this topic up for feedback and discussion next week.  We ran out of time.

Updates and follow up

Continued from August 29th:


Getting Past the Boundary Changes (from August 8th Meeting)

Steps contributors can take to help users in their localities find resources for extinct and redistricted areas  (We will then move to Colonial Era and Antebellum resources).

We need to assist in identifying records from 1900 back to pre-colonial times. For African Americans, we need to identify records between 1865-1870 (For example in SC: 1869 State Census, agricultural census, 1868 Voter's Registration, tax records) which can help link them back to resources generated prior to 1865. Researching dissertations at the Charleston County Libary revealed the fact that several post colonial era records (including church records - baptisms) exist for South Carolina that even identify persons of color.

The challenge that we must overcome:

  • many records having genealogical value remain untouched in courthouses and exist nowhere else
  • Record types are named differently in different localities
  • after researchers tap out using onine resources they need to be able to understand the research changes going back in time.  Many useful records going back in time are not readily discussed and are not accessible online.
  • We must research respository holdings or query those who have this knowledge

Resources that help users identify historical records generated for example, in US colonial period and before county formations are greatly needed (also any extinct counties, districts, townships).  What steps can contributors take to make sure users can find resources in these areas?

1.  Look at the localities that you have knowledge about. What are some areas this group has knowledge about or interest in?

Review the area on the Wiki for resources available.  Review to make sure it is easy for users to tell where to look for resources during time periods when resources were generated for this area. Add resources that you have knowledge about.

2.  Pick an area. Learn about boundary changes.  Use the following resources to learn about boundaries:

3. Learn where records are held during different time periods for a particular state/province/county/parish, etc. What are some examples of respositories?  Do not forget to check church records.  They may be the only way to determine BMD before civil records existed.

4. Identify record types and what these records contain. Look for resources through

  • genealogical societies - query experts, attend presentations, and review publications
  • local library - find out who the local history manager is and what they know, resources they have.
  • university libraries - check online and offline catalogs, and query manager of local history
  • historical societies - 
  • museums - check resources, online catalogs, vertical files

Where can you go to learn about records that exist? Add information to the Wiki. Help users understand how to use these records.

5.  Check online sites such as Internet Archives and Google Books for publications that can help users learn more about local histories.  Some may also mention early settlers or allied family.

6. 

7.  Attend a local genealogical workshop conference to meet other experts and learn of resources.

8.

9.


Be bold, post your agenda items!

Feel free to post on the agenda any items you wish to discuss during the meeting. If your item requires details or feedback, post them on the discussion page and link to them from the agenda. Possible topics include:
  • Moderator and Adopters
  • Style Guide Discussions
  • Project Help Requests
  • Training Requests
  • Improve the Wiki


Purpose of the meeting

Improve the Wiki

  • Forge solutions with other community contributors.
  • Share best practices, ideas, and content.
  • Discuss current issues, community matters, and strategies.
  • Move issues to decision.

 


Priority Items


Community Council Report



Business/Announcements


New Agenda Items



Be bold, post your agenda items!

Feel free to post on the agenda any items you wish to discuss during the meeting. If your item requires details or feedback, post them on the discussion page and link to them from the agenda. Possible topics include:
  • Moderator and Adopters
  • Style Guide Discussions
  • Project Help Requests
  • Training Requests
  • Improve the Wiki


Purpose of the meeting

Improve the Wiki

  • Forge solutions with other community contributors.
  • Share best practices, ideas, and content.
  • Discuss current issues, community matters, and strategies.
  • Move issues to decision.

 


  • This page was last modified on 12 November 2013, at 16:13.
  • This page has been accessed 488 times.