FamilySearch Wiki:Talk Pages, Preferences and General MaintenancesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Homework and Questions
How is the homework going? Do you want a review over any items? Do you have any general questions?
We are going to cover the way we communicate inside the Wiki with the following tools. Our User page tells others who we are and why we are here. While our Wiki User Talk pages are the a way we can ask and answer questions from contributors, users and our group. We use the Article talk pages to answer patron and contributors questions. We also may forward questions and comments to the Historical Records Team.
Our User pages are the way we share who we are with members of the team, other missionaries and workers, contributors and patrons.
- We want to put something to tell about who we are and why we are here.
- We can also add sections on our User page that can hold our links to pages in the Wiki.
One of the duties we have as members of the Wiki Support team is to answer questions. Those questions may be found on talk pages and will come up in our duties. We will go to the following page User Talk Pages to review the talk pages.
- Examples of User talk page and the parts of those pages.
Extra Parts of User Talk Pages and Their Use
On the User talk page there are a few differences on the Navigation Bar on right on this and most pages.
The main difference on the Navigation Bar on the User page is the Toolbox section. There are two additional links:
- "User Contributions" which links to all of this Users additions to the Wiki. You may need to look at the Users contributions to make a decision about what this person is working on to discuss a problem, a question or a page this user is connected to.
- "E mail this user" allows you to send an E mail message to the User and if they answer it comes back to your email. We often have to answer questions, give information, or inform contributors of policy. Beside the User talk page this is a useful tool.
- Additional reading User Talk Pages
Article Talk pages are a important way to help the Wiki and we can help by answering and learning from these pages.
- Examples:Types of communication found on Talk Pages.
- Information:We just leave these as they are good information for all to see. We usually find them as we patrol.
- Problems or Questions:These are often a question even though not placed that way on the page. We try to answer these question but if we cannot answer we place a Help Template on the area just above the question so others can answer.
- Historical Records Questions:We watch for these when patrolling and place Historical records templates on the page.
Resolved and Unresolved
Some talk pages contain discussions. These may go on for some time and may resolve the item discussed. Then we mark the page with the resolved template below. Some of these do not get resolved so we mark the page with unresolved template. After a year of no discussion we mark it resolved. Arbitration is also possible if requested.
Questions about the Wiki can be marked by others or by us. Templates to use if we can't answer, we do answer and to send to Historical Records.
Ask for Help
We are a team and assist each other in asking questions, answering them, checking work and working together on projects.
As we work check each new link that is added, review all new material we place on the page, and when doing a new activity consider asking someone to review our work.
- This page was last modified on 18 March 2015, at 17:38.
- This page has been accessed 828 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More