FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 May 23Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 6804, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name). (Further instructions under the label Join the meeting)
News and Events
- June 9 (Saturday) Murray Family History Fair Saturday, June 9th. Click on Classes.
- June 16 (Saturday) Mormon History Bus Tours of Echo Canyon and of East Canyon.
- June 21 To be announced presented by TBA. This is the UGA Virtual Chapter meeting which occurs every 3rd Thursday, 7:00 p.m. (Mountain).
- July 31-Aug 3 BYU Conference on Family History & Genealogy
- August 18 (Saturday) UGA Regional Conference Cedar City
- September 21 and 22 (Friday and Saturday) UGA Regional Conference Sandy
- 1940 Census Help UGA's project with FamilySearch Indexing.
- Creation of Utah Wiki Project Forum (date to be announced- but soon Forums were changed yesterday -- there is a thread for Wiki Projects. There is a new subforum. Put up a page in the wiki and thread in forums.
Review of last meeting
- Wednesday, 16 May
- Tip icon template review: Which do we like? Steve's rendering or the one on the LOC page?
- Wilma will ask Steve to drop the table border and keep the bar at the left
- Newspapers pages completed for all counties. (Thanks Lois, for finishing them.) Emery County, Utah
- Obituaries task description started. Needs adapting from the newspaper description.
Vital records (BMD, Div)
Some feedback has come this week about charts, especially the top chart in the counties. Beaver County, Utah Any ideas on what to do to NOT hide the Table of Contents?
- we will change two counties: one county will have the top two sections (green and blue); the other will have only the green section. We will review next week.
- wilma will see if Steve can eliminate the two extra lines of white space (at the top and the bottom) in the blue section
- Wilma sent feedback asking to change "Contents" to "Table of Contents"
- Since we are being copied, we need to be aware of the potential impact. So we explore how we can make the top chart smaller and very effective.
- Like having the quick reference
- Like color
- Essential: top (green) area
- Important: middle (blue) area:
- Some thought it could go elsewhere in the county page, some thought it should stay here
- It helps "experts" with parent/neighboring counties
- It gives the inexperienced hope if their ancestor born before the starting date in the top area
- Most "disposable": bottom (gold) area:
- some wanted to keep it
- data would be in topics below.
- For Utah, the same info was repeated for each county.
- Could highlight specific items for the county (also repeated in topics)
Vital records unanimous decision: Timeline style
Format: Feedback was not in favor of long charts. Options = bullets. Other options? Bolding, indenting
Charts pros and cons
- Harder for someone to add to if inexperienced
- Depends upon type of info.
- Explanations can't be made
- Contrived if a bunch of websites. Some info does not lend itself to a table nor to bullets. Bullets set them apart, but in a table, it doesn't set them apart
- what to do with resources that cover all the years (repetitive?)
- Some better conveyed in paragraph than in tables
- Bullets can be explained, charts don't allow for explanation
- Tables are hard to work in, especially for the non-techies.
- Tables are easy to look at unless too long.
- Sometimes need a separate page, don't clutter the county page
Bullets pros and cons
Summary of minutes:
Topics that may need less discussion: Leader/assistants do examples, get suggestions and approval: Liz and Jana have volunteered to be assistants.
Obituaries Task ready for contributors.
Future "quick" tasks:
- Land and property
- Funeral home records
Meetings will be held on Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m.
- Progress reports
- To be determined by the group
To discuss soon:
- Vital records setup: making ready for items to be entered
- Cemetery records
- Church records
- Funeral home records
- Land and property
- Provide context continued
- Tip Bank continued.
- This page was last modified on 30 May 2012, at 15:29.
- This page has been accessed 438 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback