FamilySearch Wiki:Wikiproject Washington Tasks History TimelineEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This task is best for people who like history. Step 1 of this task is "Wiki easy," but requires attention to detail and some brief writing. Step 2 explains how to easily link to Wikipedia for more information on selected items mention in the timeline, such as John Jacob Astor's fur company.
You will list by year important events in the history of the county—with emphasis on events that affected migration, records, or record keeping. When in doubt whether to include something or not, go ahead and include it. Since it is arranged by year, it is user friendly.
Format See Okanogan County example
- This is a bullet list, with year first, then month and day, if applicable
- Then short explanation -- preferably one line, max three lines.
|Summarize edit and Save page often. Otherwise, you may lose your work. If you prefer, use Notepad or other program that works well with the Wiki.|
- Sign up for a county
- Go to HistoryLinks.org and navigate to the correct county.
- On the county page: get to the History Timeline heading
- Open the correct county thumbnail history
- Cite the author, title and essay # of the thumbnail history. See example in Okanogan County, Washington#Timeline History
- In the thumbnail history, find an event to enter on the timeline
- In Wikitext the county page, add a bullet (* in Wikitext creates a bullet)
- Type the year (then month, then day if needed)
- Put space-dash-space after the date
- Type the event briefly (one short line, if possible.)
- A. Is there anything that should be linked to another Wiki page or a Wikipedia page?
- If yes, create those links.
- Link to another Wiki page: two left square brackets + words you want to display + two right square brackets
- Link to Wikipedia: two left squiggly brackets Template:+ wpd
- If yes, create those links.
- B. Check the links
- C. Go to Step 2 until timeline is finished. (Do remember to summarize and save often.)
If you are accepting this task:
- 1. Open the Assignment Chart for editing.
- 2. Place your cursor in the column next to the county of choice
- 3. Type 4 tildes (~~~~). This electronic signature and will leave your user name and the date.
- 4. Add a Summary for your edit such as "Accepted [County name]".
- 5. Save Page.
If you have completed this task:
- 1. Type 4 tildes (~~~~) in the Date Completed column for that county.
- 2. In the edit Summary, type "Completed [county name]"
- 3. Save page
|Adams||AdkinsWH 17:27, 27 August 2013 (UTC)|
|Asotin||Gbo17 14:33, 29 August 2013 (UTC)|
|Benton||Gbo17 14:33, 29 August 2013 (UTC)|
|Chelan||Gbo17 14:33, 29 August 2013 (UTC)|
|Clallam||Gbo17 14:33, 29 August 2013 (UTC)|
|Clark||Gbo17 14:33, 29 August 2013 (UTC)|
|Columbia||Gbo17 14:33, 29 August 2013 (UTC)|
|Cowlitz||Gbo17 14:33, 29 August 2013 (UTC)|
|Douglas||Gbo17 16:17, 29 August 2013 (UTC)|
|Okanogan||Gbo17 23:45, 16 August 2013 (UTC)|
- This page was last modified on 29 August 2013, at 16:17.
- This page has been accessed 1,027 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback