FelthamEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
FELTHAM, a village and a parish in Staines district, Middlesex. The village stands on the Richmond Extension railway, near the Longford river, 4¼ miles E by N of Staines; has a station on the railway with telegraph, and a post office‡ under Hounslow, London W; and is a pleasant rural place, environed by many ornate dwellings. The parish comprises 2, 620 acres. Real property, £6, 615. Pop. in 1851, 1, 109; in 1861, 1, 837. Houses, 306. The increase of pop. arose partly from the facilities of railway communication with London, and partly from the establishment of industrial and Welsh schools. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to Earl Mortaigne; passed to the Cottingtons, the Beauclercs, and others; was held, in 1537, by Henry VIII.; went to the Veres; and belongs now to Messrs. Barnett and Birch. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £302.* Patron, W. J. Jemmett, Esq. The church occupies the site of an ancient one; was built in 1802, and enlarged in 1856; and has a tower and spire. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans. Charities, £90.
[Adapted from: Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales by John Marius Wilson; published 1870-1872]
- This page was last modified on 10 January 2016, at 05:28.
- This page has been accessed 644 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News