Finland, Viipuri, Tax Lists (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
Title in the Language of the Record
Finland, Vyborg, Mantalslängder 1817-1915 (Swedish)
Suomi, Viipuri, Luettelot, 1817-1915 (Finnish)
|This image needs a translation.You can help by adding an English translation of the image. (Instructions)|
This collection consists of tax lists for the county of Viipuri. It includes only the following years: 1817-1838, 1840-1883, 1892, 1903, 1904, 1915.
|You will be able to browse through images in this collection when it is published.|
Content of the records varies. You may find any of the following:
- Name or names of primary individuals
- Date and nature of the court case
- Names of family members or witnesses
- Description of property
- Monies exchanged
- Birth, death or marriage details
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know
- Name of your ancestor
- Identifying information such as residence
Search the Collection
To search the collection
⇒ Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒ Select the 'District' category
⇒ Select the 'Village' category
⇒ Select the 'Year' category which takes you to the images.
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example:
For example, use the name and parish of residence to search for baptism, confirmation, marriage and death records in the church records
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby parishes and communities.
Help with the Language
These records are in Swedish so you will need to be able to understand written Swedish. For help with reading the records, please see the following wiki articles:
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We especially need language translations for both content and images. For specific needs, please look for callout boxes throughout the article or visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- “Finland, Viipuri, Tax Lists, 1817-1915.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing National Archives Service of Finland, Helsinki, Finland.
|The citation for an image will be available on each image once the collection is published.|
- This page was last modified on 14 April 2015, at 19:06.
- This page has been accessed 765 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More