Fordham, Norfolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Downham PLU|
|Parish registers: 1576|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
FORDHAM, a parish, in the union of Downham, hundred of Clackclose, W. division of Norfolk, 2½ miles (S.) from Downham. 
Fordham St Mary is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
The Original medieval church tower collapsed into the nave and was rebuilt from the stone to form the present church.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Downham 1837-1974
Fordham, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS ATs = England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812 (FamilySearch) - free|
|FS BTs = England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941 (FamilySearch) - free|
|TIN = Tinstaafl Transcripts - free|
|Fordham, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 381/ 1-3
This parish's registers do not appear on FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
|Baptisms and burials 1725-1812 Marriages 1755-1812|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1526808 Item 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438849.
Poor Law Unions
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and about Downham: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Downham/Downham.shtml
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/place_page.jsp?p_id=6005
- Fordham on GenUKI
- Transcription of Kelly's 1908 Directory for Fordham, Norfolk Rootsweb
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 248-250. Date accessed: 19 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 27 May 2015, at 13:36.
- This page has been accessed 3,775 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News