Forest County, Wisconsin GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Forest County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||April 11, 1885|
|Address|| Forest County Courthouse|
200 E Madison Street
Crandon, WI 54520
Forest County Courthouse
200 E Madison Street
Crandon, WI 54520
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage, death
and land records from 1885; Clerk Court has
divorce and court records; Register in Probate
has probate records
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Wisconsin Counties see: Wisconsin Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
Church History and Records
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
Courtesy of the Crandon Public Library:
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Wisconsin
- 1940 Census Enumeration District Maps: Wisconsin, Forest County, ED21-1 - ED 21-19
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
The Crandon Public Library in the city of Crandon has made an obituary database on its website. This index was begun by local and library volunteers and converted to an online database by the library. The index currently covers the years from 1909 – 1923, 2001 – 2003, and 2005. This is an ongoing project. There are nearly 1,800 records in the index. The data fields include last name, first name, age, newspaper, and date of publication. Click on the column header to sort the records.
Enter a surname in the search box to bring up a list of individuals with that name. You may request a copy of the obituary from the library for a small fee. As noted on the website, you may also request a copy of an obituary for someone who died in years not included in the index, if you have an approximate date of death.
Copies of the obituaries are available from the library.
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
1938, 1943, 1945-1948, 1950-1951, 1953, 1955, 1958-1961, 1963-1964
Forest History Association of Wisconsin
403 McIndoe St
Wausau, WI 54403-4746
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Forest County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 757 Forest County, Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 18 November 2015, at 03:08.
- This page has been accessed 6,258 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News