Freeborn County, Minnesota GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Freeborn County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Freeborn County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1855|
|County Seat||Albert Lea|
|Address|| Freeborn County Courthouse|
411 S Broadway Avenue
Albert Lea, MN 56007
Freeborn County Website
Freeborn County, Minnesota Record Dates
Clerk District Court has birth and death records from 1870,
marriage and court records from 1857. County Recorder has land records from 1854.
Probate Office has probate records from 1866. 
County seat: Albert Lea 
- For a brief history of how Freeborn County was named, click here. Then select Freeborn County.
[Albert Lea] | Alden | Armstrong | Clarks Grove | Conger | Emmons | Freeborn | Geneva | Glenville | Gordonsville | Hartland | Hayward | Hollandale | Manchester | Mansfield | Myrtle | Oakland | Petran | Twin Lakes
Albert Lea Township | Alden Township | Bancroft Township | Bath Township | Carlston Township | Freeborn Township | Freeman Township | Geneva Township | Hartland Township | Hayward Township | London Township | Manchester Township | Mansfield Township | Moscow Township | Newry Township | Nunda Township | Oakland Township | Pickerel Lake Township | Riceland Township | Shell Rock Township
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Concordia (Bear Lake) Lutheran Church, Twin Lakes
- Records of the Concordia (Bear Lake) Lutheran Church, Twin Lakes, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Concordia Lutheran Church, Albert Lea
- Records of the Concordia Lutheran Church, Albert Lea, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
First Lutheran Church, Albert Leas
- Records of First Lutheran Church, Albert Leas, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Freeborn Lutheran Church, Clarks Grove
- Records of Freeborn Lutheran Church, Clarks Grove, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Lime Creek Lutheran Church, Emmons
- Records of Lime Creek Lutheran Church, Emmons, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Freeborn – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Freeborn County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Civil War service men from Freeborn County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Freeborn County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers), Company H
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Company C
- - 4th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company F
- - 5th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company C
- - 10th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company E
- - 15th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company K
- Naturalization records in the Freeborn County District Court. Click here.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Freeborn County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Freeborn County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 403
1033 Bridge Avenue
Albert Lea 56007
Freeborn County Historical Society
1031 Bridge Avenue
Albert Lea 56007
Alden Community Historical Society
P.O. Box 323
Alden, MN 56009
Hollandale Area Historical Society
PO Box 184
Hollandale MN 56045-0184
Phone: 507 889-4491
Southern Minnesota Historical Center
Mankato State University
Mankato, MN 56001
Clarks Grove Area Heritage Society
Po Box 188
Clarks Grove, Minnesota 56016-0188
- Freeborn County Historical Museum Information about records in the historical library, lists of cemeteries, a county history and more.
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Freeborn County, Minnesota page 364, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
- This page was last modified on 29 January 2016, at 04:12.
- This page has been accessed 10,953 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News