Fremont County, Colorado GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Fremont County, Colorado ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Fremont County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||November 1, 1861|
|County Seat||Canon City|
|Address|| Fremont County Courthouse|
615 Macon Rm 100
Canon City, CO 81212
Fremont County Website
County Clerk has marriage and land records; Clerk district Court has divorce, probate and court records 
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
Canon City 
1861--Fremont County was created 1 November 1861 as one of the 17 original counties of the Territory of Colorado. It was created in 1859 from the old Arapahoe County in the territory of Kansas.
Places / Localities
Cities and towns in Fremont County
Cities and towns to be found in Fremont County include:
- Cañon City
- Coal Creek
- Florence, incorporated in 1887. "The antique capital of Colorado."
- Lincoln Park
Gazetteers and Other Print Sources
- Southern Colorado Historical and Descriptive of Fremont and Custer Counties With Their Principal Towns. Canon City and Other Towns. Fremont County . . . With a Description of the Immense (etc.).Author, Anonymous. This book, published before 1923, is available as a reprint from Amazon.com.
Records and Resources
Business Records and Commerce
Sources for information and tombstone photos for Fremont County, Colorado cemeteries:
Colorado GravestonesPhoto Project. Lists some Fremont County cemeteries by name; includes links to the cemetery with names and links to tombstone photos.
Colorado-Cemeteries.com. A site with good general information about cemeteries and tombstones, plus links to a list of Fremont County cemeteries.
The Tombstone Transcription Project. This is so far (updated Jan 2014) the most complete site for Fremont County cemetery information, including photos. Note: Many if not most of the tombstone photos are copyrighted, so they cannot be copied for use without permission at websites like Ancestry.com or find-a-grave.com.
Cemeteries of Canon City, Fremont County, CO
This is not an all-inclusive list. All links in this section, unless otherwise noted,to the USGenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project, Colorado, Fremont Co.
- Abbey Cemetery (aka Holy Cross Abbey Cemetery)
- Garden Park Cemetery
- Greenwood Pioneer Cemetery Est. c.1870s
- I.O.O.F. Cemetery Est. c.1870s. Note: Sometimes the Greenwood Cemetery and IOOF Cemetery are linked together because of their close proximity - across the street from one another.
- Lakeside Cemetery Est. c.1877.
Other Cemeteries of Fremont County
All links to Tombstone Transcription Project unless otherwise noted.
- Cotopaxi Cemetery, Cotopaxi, Colorado
- Hillside Cemetery, Hillside, Colorado; aka San Isabel View Cemetery.
- Howard Cemetery, Howard, Colorado. Est. c.1874. Until 1916, known as Pleasant Valley Cemetery.
- Lower Beaver Creek Cemetery, Penrose, Colorado. Est. c.1865.
- Penrose Cemetery, Penrose BillionGraves . Est. 1915; aka Beaver Park Cemetery.
- Union Highland Cemetery, Florence, Colorado. Est. 1873. Originally named "Highland"; name changed in 1930 when it was turned over to the city of Florence.
- Upper Beaver Creek Cemetery, Florence, Colorado. Est. 1883.
For tips on accessing Fremont County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Colorado denominations, view the Colorado Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Canon City
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
The county is named for explorer and presidential candidate John C. Fremont (1813-1890), called by historians the Great Pathfinder.
Crossing The Plains in 1864 and Early History of Fremont County, by William H. Callen.
Land and Property
Colorado in the Civil War, a FamilySearch wiki page.
Colorado Military Records, a FamilySearch wiki page.
Military Records, Colorado State Archives
Colorado Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.), Western History and Genealogy, Denver Public Library
- 1880 Mortality Schedule for Fremont County. This schedule is available at Ancestry.com.
- Persons who died the year ending May 31, 1880.
- Name; age; sex; color; whether single, married, widowed, or divorced
- place of birth; where father born; where mother born;
- profession, occupation, or trade;
- month in which the person died;
- disease or cause of death;
- how long a resident of the county?;
- place where disease was contracted, if not Fremont County;
- name of attending physician.
Naturalization and Citizenship
See the FamilySearch wiki page for Colorado Naturalization and Citizenship.
Newspapers and Obituaries
Microfilm of years of the Canon City Daily Record are housed at the Royal Gorge Museum and History Center. Contact them for specific years.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Fremont County, Colorado Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- The Colorado Magazine was published by the Colorado Historical Society from 1923 to 1980 and contains hundreds of articles about significant Colorado and Western people and events. Since 1980, the quarterly has been titled Colorado Heritage. (Denver)
- Pinon Whispers, published quarterly by the Southeastern Colorado Genealogy Society. (Pueblo)
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
Public and Vital Records
Birth records may become public records when 100 years have elapsed after the date of birth. EXCEPTION: The birth record of any individual who is known to be currently alive will remain confidential even if they are 100 years of age or greater. 
Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995. Includes Fremont County. FamilySearch collection. Fremont County records:
- Marriage certificate index, 1925-1929
- Marriage certificates and licenses, 1874-1876
- 1853 - 2006 Colorado Statewide Marriage Index, 1853-2006 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1900 - 1939 Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1859 - 1900 Colorado Marriages, 1859-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
Death records may become public records when 75 years have elapsed after the date of death. 
Colorado Statewide Divorce Index, 1900-1930. These records are found at FamilySearch. The index is arranged in alphabetical order.
- Colorado State Archives has put the Fremont County Inheritance Tax Records Index for 1913-1943 on-line.
The Colorado State Archives has the following records available for Fremont County, Colorado Genealogy in this online database Archives Search. For a full list of online holdings, click here.
Civilian Conservation Corps Enrollments 1936 - 1942
Divorce Index 1880 - 1939
Horseshoers 1897 - 1920
Mine Accidents, Non - fatal 1883 - 1900
Vietnam Deaths 1966, 1968
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Canon City Public Library
516 Macon Ave
Canon City,CO 81212
Phone: (719) 269-9020
- Cotopaxi School/Community Library
0345 County Road 12
Cotopaxi, CO 81223
Phone: (719) 942-4131
- John C. Fremont Library District (Florence)
130 Church Ave
Florence, CO 81226
Phone: (719) 784-4649
- Penrose Library District
555 4th Ave
Penrose, CO 81240
Phone: (719) 372-0606
612 Royal Gorge Blvd. Canon City, CO 81215
- Maintains and provides public access to records and artifacts of Fremont and Custer counties in Colorado.
- "a showcase of the atmosphere and exhibits of days, staff and inmates gone by."
- Located on the west end of Canon City, one block off Hwy 50 on 1st Street.
100 East Front Street Florence, Colorado 81226
- "To collect, preserve and interpret the rich historical heritage of Florence, Colorado, the surrounding mining towns and eastern Fremont County.
- Fremont County Genealogy Society
Canon City Public Library 516 Macon Ave Canon City, CO 81218
P.O. Box 965 Canon City, CO 81215
- covers the following Colorado counties: Baca, Bent, Crowley, Custer, Fremont, Huerfano, Kiowa, Las Animas, Otero, Prowers, and Pueblo.
P.O. Box 1407 Pueblo, CO 81002
PO Box 211 Wetmore, CO 81253
- FamilySearch Catalog
- History Colorado Center, Denver, Colorado
- Fremont County, Colorado Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Fremont County, Colorado Genealogy and History, part of the Genealogy Trails Group
- Lone Pine Ancestors, a Fremont County website written and maintained by Mary Ann Thomas, copyright 2001. Some information may not be updated.
- Southeastern Colorado Genealogical Society, Pueblo, Colorado
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Fremont County, Colorado. Page 98 ; .
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources (Salt Lake City, Utah : Ancestry Pub., 2004), ppp. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Letter from Colorado State Registrar, Dated September 1, 2011. Policy Number 2011- 08. http://www.colorado.gov
- This page was last modified on 22 September 2015, at 20:59.
- This page has been accessed 9,092 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News