Garvin County, OklahomaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Garvin County, Oklahoma genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Garvin County, Oklahoma|
Location in the state of Oklahoma
| Map of the U.S. highlighting Oklahoma|
Location of Oklahoma in the U.S.
|Founded||July 16, 1907|
|County Seat||Pauls Valley|
|Address|| Garvin County Courthouse|
201 W. Grant Ave.
Pauls Valley, Oklahoma 73075
1907--Garvin County was created 16 July 1907 from Chickasaw Lands.
County seat: Pauls Valley 
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Oklahoma denominations, view the Oklahoma Church Records Wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Oklahoma Land and Property for additional information about early Oklahoma land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Garvin County, Oklahoma. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Oklahoma Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Garvin County, Oklahoma newspapers in online catalogs like:
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Ada newspapers that may have included Garvin County residents. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
In most counties in Oklahoma, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The Family History Library Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Oklahoma - Garvin - Probate records.
Oklahoma tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Garvin County, Oklahoma. Page 559 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 12 November 2013, at 13:30.
- This page has been accessed 3,238 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More