Great Falls Montana Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
This is the largest family history center open to the general public in Central Montana.
Center Contacts and Hours
- (Link to map using Google
- 1401 9th St NW Great Falls MT 59404-3336 United States
- Tuesday:9:00am-3:00pm and 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Wednesday:9:00am-3:00pm and 6:00pm-9:00pm
Closed for all major holidays: Saturday Oct 4th 2014: Christmas week through New Years Day:
Calendar and Events
Upcoming Events Class Schedule
There will be no formal staff training in the summer. There will be a staff picnic the first Thursday of July, 2014. In September the Center will begin offering weekly training in family history research. Watch for more details.
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog from holdings in Salt Lake City UT.
- Hundreds of book holdings and thousands of microfilms and microfiches that are kept permanently at the Center. All of these are retrievable using an onsite electronic card catalogue. The catalogue allows searches by surname and geographic place.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. Websites available include:
- Ancestory.com (probably largest collection in world of genealogy information)
- Arkivdigital Online (Swedish genealogy)
- 19th Century Newspapers (fully searchable British Newspaper collection of 19th Cent.)
- Alexander Street Press/American Civil War
- Find My Past (British ancestry)
- Fold3 (military records)
- The Genealogist (English Parish Records--may not be available)
- Historic Map Works Library Addition (Very extensive world-wide map collection)
- Paper Trail (U.S. westward migration documents)
- World Vital Records (Many various records)
- Godfrey Memorial Library (mostly New England Records)
Hardware and Equipment
- 5 new or refurbished computers since 1 Jun 2014
- 5 microfilm readers
- 1 Canon Reader Printer that makes both hard copies and digital copies of microfilm and microfiche images
Staff Research Specialties
We have volunteer staff that specialize in American, British, Swedish, Volga German research, and other areas of research. Call the library at (406) 453-1625 to learn when staff members knowledgeable in your area of research are scheduled to staff the Center.
The Great Falls Genealogy Society Library is a separate organization dedicated to preserving and making available to the public family history information here in Central Montana. They are located at the Great Falls Public Library 3rd Floor at 301 2nd Ave. North, ph. 727-3922.
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)
- This page was last modified on 23 July 2014, at 21:09.
- This page has been accessed 1,055 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More