Great Horkesley, Essex GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Great Horkesley, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Great Horkesley, Essex|
All Saints Great Horkesley, Essex
|Poor Law Union||Lexden and Winstree PLU|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1639; 1737; 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Great Horkesley most often known as Great Horksley or Horksley (Great), is a village and a parish in Lexden district, Essex. The village stands near the river Stour and the boundary with Suffolk, it is 1 1/4 miles SW of Nayland, and 4 miles NW of Colchester railway station. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Great Horkesley, Essex Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|Great Horkesley, Essex Genealogy Online Parish Records|
- Society of Friends/Quaker
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241372.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Great Horkesley on GENUKI
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
- ↑ John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870. Adapted: date accessed 21 May 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 23 September 2014.
- ↑ 'Essex Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com,' Family Relatives, accessed 12 March 2012. Derived from Phillimore Marriage Indexes.
- This page was last modified on 4 June 2015, at 15:29.
- This page has been accessed 4,322 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News