Great Orphan's Books, Mayor of BristolEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
For a general explanation about England probate records, click here.
Step By Step
- Look at the "Records" section below to determine what probate records exist for you.
- If you find reference to a will of interest to you, obtain a copy either by writing to England or by viewing it on microfilm at the Family History Library or through a family history center.
- If no reference of interest is found, search the records of the Court of the Bishop of Gloucester. If you are looking for a will after 1776, you should also check the Bishop's court.
- A calendar of wills proved in the consistory court of the Bishop of Bristol, 1572-1792
- A calendar of wills in the great orphan books, 1379-1674
- Goucestershire Wills Index online
- Bristol City Wills Indices 1781-1858
Printed and Published Indexes
Bristol Record Office 'B' Bond Warehouse Smeaton Road Bristol BS1 6XN
Tel: 0117 922 4224
Fax: 0117 922 4236
The records for this court are housed in the Bristol City Record Office.
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Registered Wills 1379-1674
Probate or Copy Wills 1261-1828
Family History Library Records
By Royal Letters Patent 12th Jan 1331, Edward III granted to the Mayor of Bristol power to take recognisance for the proper security of orphans estates.
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2015, at 23:57.
- This page has been accessed 1,072 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News