Great Plumstead, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Great Plumstead, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Blofield PLU|
|Parish records: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Dean & Chapter of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
PLUMSTEAD, GREAT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Blofield, E. division of Norfolk, 4½ miles (E.) from Norwich. 
Great Plumstead St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the diocese of Norwich.
The church lost the original tower which was replaced with a brick one. It then had a catastrophic fire in 1891 which destroyed much of the church except the tower and the church was rebuilt.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Blofield 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Great Plumstead, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Great Plumstead, Norfolk Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1558-1890||Undefined||1558-1807, 1813-1903||Undefined||1558-1891|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 123
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438849.
1891 Census Surnames Index courtesy of the Norfolk Transcription Archive
1597 Subsidy Taxes courtesy of Norfolk Transcription Archive
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
The union consisted of the following parishes: Acle, Beighton, Blofield, Bradestone, Brundall, Buckenham Ferry, Burlingham St Andrew, Burlingham St Edmund, Burlingham St Peter, Cantley, Freethorpe, Halvergate, Hassingham, Hemblington, Limpenhoe, Lingwood, Moulton, Great Plumstead, Little Plumstead, Postwick, Ranworth with Panxworth, Reedham, Southwood, Strumpshaw, Thorpe St Andrew, Tunstall, Upton with Fishley, Walsham St Lawrence, Walsham St Mary, Wickhampton, Witton, Woodbastwick.
Blofield Union was incorporated under the 1834 Act. The Union Workhouse was opened in 1836 at Lingwood. Blofield Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 3 in 1930.
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 6 May 1971 (C/GP2/29) and on unknown dates
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Great Plumstead on GenUKI
- Parish Info
- Church in the Plumsteads
- Blofield Deanery
- British Listed Buildings
- Norfolk Churches
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 578-586Date accessed: 19 March 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 25 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- This page was last modified on 12 April 2014, at 19:58.
- This page has been accessed 755 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback