Greene County, Georgia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Greene County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Greene County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||February 3, 1786|
|Address|| Greene County Courthouse|
113 N Main
Greensboro, GA 30642-1109
Greene County Website
Greene County Courthouse
113 N Main
Greensboro, GA 30642-1109
Probate Court has marriage, death and probate records. Clerk Superior Court has divorce records from 1790, court and land records from 1785; County Health Department has birth records from 1927.
Clerk of Superior Court
113 N. Main Street, Suite 109
Greensboro, GA 30642
Telephone: (706) 453-3340
Fax: (706) 453-9179
Probate Court of Greene County
Greene County Courthouse
113 North Main Street, Suite 113
Greensboro, GA 30642
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- 1866-1875 - Greene County Colored Marriage Index 1866-1875. Batch M712965 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1877 - Greene County Colored Marriage Index 1875-1877. Batch M712964 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1878-1883 - Greene County Colored Marriage Index 1878-1883. Batch M712968 at FamilySearch - free.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Bethany Presbyterian Church
- 1841-1885 - Bethany Presbyterian Church Baptism Index 1841-1885. Batch C712969 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1841-1895 - Bethany Presbyterian Church Marriage Index 1841-1895. Batch M712969 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Greene County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Regiments. Service men in Greene County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Greene County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 3rd Battalion, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company C
- - 3rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company C
- - 8th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company I
- - 44th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company K
- - 55th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company B
- - 62nd Regiment, Georgia Cavalry (Confederate) , Company D
- - 66th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company G
- - The USGenWeb Archives Project - Georgia (other war information given also)
- Rice, Thaddeus Brockett. 1961. History of Greene County, Georgia, 1786-1886. Macon, Ga: J.W. Burke Co. (page 382, 289-414) 975.861 H2r
- Bryant, Jonathan M. 1996. How curious a land: conflict and change in Greene County, Georgia, 1850-1885. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press. (page 66-89) 975.8612 H2b
- Georgia. Superior Court (Greene County). 1980. Miscellaneous loose court papers [Greene County, Georgia]. Georgia: Georgia Dept. of Archives and History. film 1018455, 1704735 item 1
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Greene County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Greene County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1742-1975 - Georgia, Probate Records 1742-1975, Greene County
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
1811 Greene County Tax Digest (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1785-1950 Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1808-1967 Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828-1978 Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1699-1944 Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1785-1873 - Greene County Marriage Index 1785-1873. Batch M712961 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1786-1849 - Greene County Marriage Index 1786-1849. Batch M712962 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1849-1877 - Greene County Marriage Index 1849-1877. Batch M712963 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1891 - Greene County Marriage Index 1877-1891. Batch M712966 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1891-1895 - Greene County Marriage Index 1891-1895. Batch M712967 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1933-1998 Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1914-1927 Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1928-1939 Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1849-50, 1859-60, 1869-70, 1879-80 - Greene County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Greene County Historical Society
PO Box 238,
Greensboro, GA 30642-0238
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Greene County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Greene County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Greene County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Greene County, Georgia. Page 156 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 34. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 4.9 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 14 November 2015, at 00:59.
- This page has been accessed 20,420 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News