Gwinnett County, Georgia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Gwinnett County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Gwinnett County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 15, 1818|
|Address|| Gwinnett County Courthouse|
75 Langley Drive
PO Box 880
Lawrenceville, GA 30046
Gwinnett County Website
1818--Gwinnett County was created 15 December 1818 from Cherokee and Creek Indian Lands.
County seat: Lawrenceville 
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Harmony Baptist Church Cemetery, Buford
- Harmony Grove Methodist Cemetery, Tucker
- Lilburn First Baptist Church Cemetery, Lilburn
- Salem Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery, Lilburn
- White Chapel Memorial Gardens, Lawrenceville
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
- Flanigan, James C. Gwinnett Churches: A Complete History of Every Church in Gwinnett County, Georgia, With Short Biographical Sketches of Its Ministers. 1911. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
Haynes Creek Baptist Church
- 1826-1885 - Haynes Creek Baptist Church Baptism Index 1826-1885. Batch C712984 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1826-1895 - Haynes Creek Baptist Church Marriage Index 1826-1895. Batch M712984 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Gwinnett County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Regiments. Service men in Gwinnett County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Gwinnett County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 3rd Battalion, Georgia Sharpshooters (Confederate)
- - 12th Battalion, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company C
- - 16th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies H and I
- - 24th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - 35th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies F and H
- - 36th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Broyles') (Confederate), Company K
- - 42nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies A and B
- - 55th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company I
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project (other war information given also)
- Pharr, Mary Ogletree. 1995. Woodward's Mill: its history in deeds, stories, pictures and memories. [Place of publication not identified]: [publisher not identified]. (page 10-11) 975.8223 H2p
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Gwinnett County). 1963. Confederate roster, 1861-1865; Confederate pension rolls, 1890-1935. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah.film 310884
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Gwinnett County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
1. Wills 1846-1886, Book D (digital images) Georgia Pioneers
2. Index to Inventories and Annual Returns, Books 10-14, 1872-1895 Georgia Pioneers
3. Index to Inventories and Appraisements 1856-1866 Georgia Pioneers
4. Index to Inventories and Appraisements 1886-1897 Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1785 - 1950 Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1808 - 1967 Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
1828 - 1978 Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $ 1699 - 1944 Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1827-1837 - Marriage Book 3, 1827-1837 Georgia Pioneers
- 1837-1895 - Gwinnett County Marriage Index 1837-1895. Batch M712983 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1843-1882 - Gwinnett County Marriage Book 4 Index 1843-1882. Batch M712981 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1843-1864 - Index to Marriages 1843-1864 Georgia Pioneers
- 1871-1882 - Index to Marriages 1871-1882 Georgia Pioneers
- 1878-1892 - Gwinnett County Marriage Books 5 and 6 Index 1878-1892. Batch M712982 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885-1886 - Marriages 1885-1886 (from newspapers) Georgia Pioneers
- 1933 - 1998 Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1914 - 1927 Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1928 - 1938 Georgia Deaths 1928-1938 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1859-60, 1869-70 - Gwinnett County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
- Flanigan Funeral Home Obituaries Buford, Gwinnett County, Georgia Free from GenealogyBuff.com.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Gwinnett County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Gwinnett County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gwinnett County, Georgia. Page 156 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 34-35. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 15 April 2015, at 14:54.
- This page has been accessed 17,059 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News