Gwyddelwern, DenbighshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The area is predominantly Welsh-speaking.
The name Gwyddelwern translates into English as "alder marsh in the thickets".
The parish church is dedicated to St Beuno and its churchyard is circular, an indication of the age of the site, which possibly dates back to pre-Christian times.
The ancient parish was divided into three divisions, each made up of several townships:
- Cwm: Maes Gwyn; Maes Gamedd; Bonyronn & Trebach; Meiarth & Aelhaiarn
- Uwchmynydd: Bodgynfel & Clegir
- Uwchafon: Cynwyd Fawr; Cynwyd Fechan; Perseithydd & Bodheulog.
The Uwchafon division was detached from the rest of the parish. In 1854 the townships of Cynwyd Fawr, Cynwyd Fechan and Bodheulog were transferred to the parish of Llangar. In 1864 the township of Persaethydd was transferred to the new parish of Llawr y Betws, togther with the townships of Llawr y Betws (from the parish of Llanfor) and Nantffreiar (from the parish of Llandderfel).
|before 31 March 1974||Merionethshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Denbighshire|
Births, marriages and deaths in Gwyddelwern will be recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 30 Sep 1935||Gwyddelwern||Corwen|| XXVII (1837-51)|
|1 Oct 1935 - 1974||Corwen||Merioneth East|| 11b (1935-46)|
- The original Gwyddelwern Parish Registers, from 1691 to 1936, have been deposited at the National Library in Aberystwyth.
- The Clwyd Family History Society have published several volumes of the Gwyddelwern parish registers.
- There are no official records available on the IGI for Gwyddelwern parish.
Nonconformist Church Records
- Jones, Mrs. D. Elvyern. Friends and Relatives - A Quaker Ancestry. A discussion of the Cadwalader Thomas family and their loyalty to the Quaker faith. Article covers years 1682-1824, in magazine, Hel Achau #14, Winter 1984, pages 11-13, Family History Library 942.93 D25h
The parish of Gwyddelwern formed part of the Corwen Registrar's District.
Poor Law Union Records
Gwyddelwern formed part of the Corwen Union which was created on 13 December 1836 and the workhouse was built at Corwen, but not completed until April 1840.
The records for the Corwen Union are held at the Meirionydd Record Office in Dolgellau.
- Ordnance Survey map of Gwyddelwern
- Modern map of Gwyddelwern at Denbighshire County Council (.pdf)
- Gwyddelwern Parish Church at Clwyd FHS
- Gwyddelwern War Memorial at Clwyd FHS
- Gwyddelwern Parish Church at CPAT.
- This page was last modified on 10 July 2013, at 00:37.
- This page has been accessed 1,559 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More