Harnett County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Harnett County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Harnett County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
|Founded||February 7, 1855|
Harnett County Courthouse
729 S Main Street P O Box 279
Lillington, NC 27546
Register of deeds has birth, marriage and land land rec
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, probate and court records from 1920
records from 1855-1920 were destroyed in a fire
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1892, 1894--Courthouse fires destroyed court records and many of the land records.
For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Harnett Cemeteries Database - online database from the Harnett public library. Change "database type" to "Obituary." Includes approximately 20 years of burial information, including some obituaries.
- Harnett County Cemteries - NCGenWeb
- Harnett County Cemteries - NCGenWeb Archives
- Find-A-Grave: Harnett County Cemeteries
For tips on accessing Harnett County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Harnett County.
- March 16, 1865 = Averasborough, also known as Taylor’s Hole Creek, Smithville, Smiths Ferry, or Black River
- Map showing Civil War battles in North Carolina.
Civil War Confederate units
Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- - 10th Battalion, North Carolina Heavy Artillery, Company B
:- 15th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, formerly the 5th Volunteers, Company F
:- 1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company C
:- 41st Regiment Volunteers - 3rd Cavalry, Company D
:- 7th Battalion, North Carolina Junior Reserves, Company A
:- 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain Isaac William's Company
:- 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain Neill McNeill's Company
- Search Birth, Marriage & Death certificates at the Harnett County Register of Deeds website. Uncertified copies can be ordered for a fee (see website for details).
- 1892-1967 - Harnett County Marriage Index 1892-1967 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1800 - 2000 North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1898 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909-1975 North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1741 - 2004 North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1969North Carolina County Marriages 1762-1969 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- Campbell University: 1912-2009
- Harnett county students at North Carolina colleges - a list from the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Harnett County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- NCGenWeb: Harnett County - part of the USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Harnett County, North Carolina. Page 509 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ "Barbecue Church," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, http://www.ncmarkers.com, accessed 22 October 2012.
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 8 August, 2012)
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/9/91/Iginorthcarolinag.pdf.
|This North Carolina-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 13 April 2015, at 16:15.
- This page has been accessed 10,861 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More