Harrington, Cumberland GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Harrington, Cumberland ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Allerdale above Derwent|
|Poor Law Union||Whitehaven|
|Parish registers: 1653|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1688|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Copeland|
|Location of Archive|
|Cumberland Record Office|
HARRINGTON, a small sea-port and a parish, in the union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 2 miles (S.) from Workington. The Primitive Methodists and Wesleyan Methodists, each have a place of worship.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Parish registers for Harrington, 1653-1922
Bishop's transcripts for Harrington, 1688-1875
Harrington parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg.org.uk|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|HARRINGTON PARISH Online Records|
- Primitive Methodist
- Wesleyan Methodist - Church records, 1877-1950
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241276.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cumberland Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Harrington on GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England Date accessed and adapted 30 July 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Cumberland Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 8 January 2016, at 23:54.
- This page has been accessed 2,108 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News