Henderson County, Kentucky GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Henderson County, Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records. Located in the Western Coal Fields region.
|Henderson County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 21, 1798|
Henderson County Kentucky Courthouse
Henderson County Kentucky History
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Kentucky counties see: Kentucky Counties with Burned Courthouses
Henderson County Kentucky Places/Localities
|Bluff City||Finley Addition||Rankin||Tunnel Hill|
- Posey County, Indiana
- Vanderburgh County, Indiana
- Warrick County, Indiana
Henderson County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Henderson Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Henderson County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- TheFamilySearch Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Henderson County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Henderson County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Moody, Shirley C. Kith and Kin of Henderson County, Kentucky and Their Descendants. 6 vols. Evansville, Ind.: S. Moody, 1991. FHL Film 1597933 Items 1-6
- [Baker] Chapman, Peggy Brown. Bakers of Logan, Christian, Muhlenberg, Livingston, Henderson, Hopkins, Caldwell, Union, Todd, Trigg, Crittenden, Lyon, McLean and Webster Counties & Jackson Purchase, Kentucky. Lubbock, Texas: P.B. Chapman, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 B171cp
- [Bethell] Bethell, John Pinckney. Some Descendants of James Bethell, Who Came from England to Jamestown, Virginia in 1625 ... and of Union Bethell, 1826-1907, of Newburg, Indiana to Henderson County, Kentucky. Des Arc, Ark.: Bethell, 1975. FHL Film 928178 Item 13
- [Crowley] Crowley, Ariel L. Benjamin Harrison Crowley of Henderson, Kentucky, an Account of His Maternal Ancestry. Typescript. 1969. FHL Book 929.273 C886cr; Supplement: FHL Book 929.273 C886cr supp.
- [Hart] Smith, Zachary F. and Mary Rogers Clay. The Clay Family. Louisville, Ky.: John P. Morton and Company, 1899. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Jones] Jones, Otey Sherman. The History of the Jones Family of Henderson, Kentucky. St. Louis, Mo.: O.S. Jones, 1974. FHL Book 929.273 J71jos
- [Tippin] Tippin, James Jackson. English Tipping Ancestry of Sanford Lathadeus Tippin Family of Henderson Co., Kentucky (U.S.A.). Typescript. 1900 (?). FHL Fiche 6018262
- [Tippin] Tippin, James Jackson. Ancestry of Sanford Lathadeus Tippin Family of Henderson County, Kentucky. Shreveport, La.: J.J. Tippin, 1940. FHL Film 1405352
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- ~ The Archives of Appalachia
- Starling, Edmund Lyne. History of Henderson County, Kentucky. Henderson, Ky.: n.p., 1887. Digital version at Kentuckiana Digital Library.
- History of Henderson County, Kentucky at Ancestry.com (Free/$)
- Ancestry of Sanford Lathadeus Tippin family of Henderson County, Kentucky at Ancestry.com (Free/$)
- Maps of Kentucky (1776-1939)
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 10th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Company L.
- - 10th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Diamond's) (Confederate), Company L.
- - 10th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Johnson's) (Confederate), Company L.
- - 8th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Companies B, E, H and L.
- -35th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company K
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1799-1946 - Will Books A to H (1799-1946) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Online Probate Records
- 1774 – 1999 Kentucky Wills and Probate Records 1774-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1727 – 1990 Kentucky Probate Records 1727-1990 at FamilySearch — images
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records. See also How to order Kentucky Vital Records
- 1852-1859 - Henderson County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517481 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Henderson County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517482 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1876 - Henderson County Birth Index 1875-1876. Batch C517483 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1861 - Henderson County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch M517481 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Henderson County Birth Index 1875. Batch M517484 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Henderson County Birth Index 1876-1878. Batch M517485 at FamilySearch - free.
County Clerk has birth and death records 1911-1949
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Henderson County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Henderson County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Henderson County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Henderson County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Henderson County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Henderson County, Kentucky page 271, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Voice of Dorothy Murphy (b. 1927), life-long resident of Central City, Ky. (2011)
- ↑ May be used for free at Family History Center. To locate a center near you, click here.
- ↑ May be used for free at Family History Center. To locate a center near you, click here.
- ↑ G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 4 October 2015, at 21:20.
- This page has been accessed 19,257 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News