Henry County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Henry County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Henry County, Georgia|
Location in the state of [[Georgia]]
|Founded||May 15, 1821|
|Address|| Henry County Courthouse|
345 Phillips Drive
McDonough, GA 30253-3425
Henry County Website
1821--Henry County was created 15 May 1821 from Creek Indian Lands. County seat: McDonough 
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1824 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged. For a list of record loss in Georgia counties see: Georgia Counties with Burned Courthouses
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Henry County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Regiments. Service men in Henry County, Georgia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Henry County, Georgia:
- - 19th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company G
- - 22nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company K
- - 23rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company K
- - 27th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 28th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 30th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company E
- - 44th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies A and I
- - 53rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - 60th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company I
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Henry County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills and Bonds 1822-1834 (digital images). See nams of testa Georgia Pioneers
- Wills 1834-1869 (digital images) .georgiapioneers.com/counties/countyhenry.html Georgia Pioneers *$)
- Index to Wills and Bons, 1822-1834 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Index to Wills, Book A, 1834-1869 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Index to Wills, Book B, 1867-1896 Georgia Pioneers ($)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1822-1851 - Henry County Marriage Index 1822-1851. Batch M713061 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1885 - Henry County Marriage Index 1851-1885. Batch M713062 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1885 - Henry County Marriage Index 1851-1885. Batch M734973 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1885 - Henry County Marriage Index 1851-1885. Batch M734974 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Henry County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Henry County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers ($)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Henry County, Georgia. Page 156 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 24 March 2014, at 17:38.
- This page has been accessed 7,018 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback