Henry County, Missouri GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Henry County, Missouri ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Henry County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||December 13, 1834|
|Address|| Henry County Courthouse|
Main & Franklin Sts;
100 W Franklin
Clinton, MO 64735-2199
Henry County Website
County Recorder has marriage and land records from 1830
and military discharge records; County Clerk has divorce
and court recorders; Associate Circuit Court has probate
records; County Museum has birth and burial records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- White Oak Township
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Henry County, Missouri, Cemetery Records, Vol. 2 (Calhoun Cemetery) at Ancestry.com ($)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
St. Ludgers, Germantown
- 1832-1876 - St. Ludgers, Germantown, Baptism Index 1832-1876. Batch C511791 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1849-1876 - St. Ludgers, Germantown, Marriage Index 1849-1876. Batch M511791 at FamilySearch - free.
Immaculate Conception, Montrose
- 1858-1876 - Immaculate Conception, Montrose, Baptism Index 1858-1876. Batch C511961 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Henry County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Waugh family of Litchfield, Connecticut, Ross County, Ohio, Henry County, Missouri. at Ancestry.com ($)
- D M Anderson Directory Co. Clinton, Missouri, a picturesque city : a picturesque city : facts thrown to the surface by pen and camera. Kansas City, Mo. : D M Anderson, c1896.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- Henry County, Missouri, in pictures and prose : describing its resources, enterprises and opportunities, and the men behind them. [S.l. : s.n.], 1922.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- The History of Henry and St. Clair Counties, Missouri : containing a history of these counties, their cities, towns...biographical sketches...statistics... St. Joseph, Mo. : National Historical Co., 1883.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- Lamkin, Uel W. History of Henry County, Missouri. [S.l.] : Historical Pub., 1919.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- Maps of Missouri (1804-1889)
- Family Maps of Henry County, Missouri Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Map of Henry County townships (Histopolis)
The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Henry County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Civil War and Masonry in Missouri at Ancestry.com ($)
- - 16th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company F
- - 16th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company K
- - 5th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company G
- - 5th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company K
- - 60th Battalion, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company A
- - 60th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company F
- - 60th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company K
- - 60th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company A
- - 60th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company H
- - 60th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company E
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Henry County, Missouri Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1827 - 1935 Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1851 - 1910 Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1802 - 1969 Missouri, County Marriage, Naturalization, and Court Records, 1802-1969 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1750 - 1920 Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1805 - 2002 Missouri, Marriage Records, 1805-2002 at [http://home.ancestry.com/
- 1850 Missouri Marriages to 1850 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1835-1867 - Henry County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1835-1867. Batch M515141 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1867-1881 - Henry County Marriage Books B and C Index 1867-1881. Batch M515142 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Henry County Marriage Books D and E Index 1881-1885. Batch M515143 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1867 - 1976 Missouri, Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1834 - 1910 Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Clinton Missouri Family History Center 297 NW 40th Rd, Clinton MO 64735
United States Location Map
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|Missouri Digital Heritage||Free||digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State|
|MOGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Missouri State Archives Library||catalog; from this page you must search "Henry County"|
|Google+||Missouri Genealogy Network Community|
|list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Henry County, MO Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Henry County Message Board|
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Henry County, Missouri. Page 400 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 30 March 2015, at 15:45.
- This page has been accessed 8,175 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More